Best technique for using Circular Polarizer on Rollei?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ToddB, Jun 10, 2013.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys,

I just got my Bay II step up and poloarizer filter. It's cool that it jives with my camera. However.. what would be the best technique to use it? Putting it on viewing lens and rotating it to the darkest option, then carefully moving it to taking lens? The only thing that might be a problem is letting rotate while taking it off to move to lower. Any one a fool proof way of doing it? Oh.. I guess being the darkest point on filter is the best? been away from filter use for a while.

ToddB

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doesn't the circular polarizer have a position marker (dot) on the rotating part of the filter ring? If so, make note of the position before you remove it from the viewing lens... and when in place on the taking lens rotate the marker to the same position. If not, use a Sharpie marker and put an marker on it.

3. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Great.. I pointed it toward computer screen and what a wierd affect.. It makes the projection completley disappear. I guess the optimal position would be at the darkest point?

Todd

4. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It all depends -- sometimes you don't want the highest level of polarization, or if there are multiple reflective surfaces (like a desk in an office with a glass partition) you will need to adjust the amount of polarization to the desired effect.

Try using a polarizer in bright sunlight outdoors with polarized sunglasses and watch everything go dark!

5. nosmok

nosmok Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The factory polarizers for higher end old Kodak cameras had a viewing glass on the end of an arm that rotated with the polarizer over the taking lens,. You looked thru the viewing polarizer to see what the big one was doing. Kind of a cool system.

--nosmok

6. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just hold it over the viewing lens, and rotate till your desired effect. Once that's determined, hold the filter over the taking lens. Crude, but it works most efficiently.

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2013
  8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    P.S. the original Rolleipoll polarizer was a linear one with markings on the outer ring to help one orientate it when removing it from the viewing lens and putting it on the taking lens
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23827640@N08/3840171407