Best Way to Mail Film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Shawn Rahman, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Shawn Rahman

Shawn Rahman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I am finally making my long-awaited move back to the East Coast. I need to ship about 75 rolls of film, and do not want to take them on the airplane with me.

Most of it is right now either frozen or in the fridge. They are assorted chrome, print, coleor & B&W, and speed range from 64 to 1600.

What method of shipping does not x-ray? Can I use the USPS Priority Mail, or is Fedex Ground better? Cost will be rather low, but I am most concerned about x-rays.

Thanks for your recommendations!

2. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I receive most of my film via USPS. As far as I know, none of it has been xrayed. I've certainly never had any fogging.

3. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ask the post office to plaster the package with "Do Not X-Ray" stickers or wright the same.

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've shipped film to myself via USPS priority mail, and bought it mail order via USPS, UPS, and Fedex. No problems so far.

5. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ground shipping is less likely to X-ray then air shipping, but the best thing to do is contact the customer service number for each carrier and see what they say.

6. Stephen Schoof

Stephen Schoof Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I buy my film from B+H and Adorama (in NYC) and have had it shipped to me in NC via UPS ground and air. All my exposed film goes to Colorado for developing via UPS ground. Sometime after 9/11 and the anthrax scare I confirmed with them that they are not using xrays or anything else in high enough doses to damage film. I've never had any problems. You might call whoever you choose just to be sure (esp if you have 1600 speed).

7. gerryyaum

gerryyaum Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    have shipped film from the usa to canada and from canada to thailand without any fogging issues. I just used USPS or Canada Post

8. Shawn Rahman

Shawn Rahman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, all. I will check with USPS & UPS for ground shipments just to be safe. I am grateful for your advice!