Best way to remove a print stuck to glass.

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by rkmiec, May 28, 2012.

1. rkmiec

rkmiec Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Only known copy of a print now stuck to glass in a frame. How can it be easily removed without damage to the print.

2. Aron

Aron Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Put the glass with the paper stuck to it in a tray of water and let it soak for a long time (at least an hour, more won't hurt), then you can try to start to very slowly peel the paper off. If you feel the slightest resistance, don't pull but continue soaking.

This happened to me with unimportant prints in the past and the only time tiny pieces of emulsion got torn off was when I didn't let it soak long enough. Be patient with it.

3. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adding a couple of drops of photoflo helps the water get between the glass and the emulsion as well.

4. BrendanCarlson

BrendanCarlson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could also try contact printing if you really need the shot. :wink:

5. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi, I'd think twice - it might be better to leave the print stuck to the glass - trying to remove it will almost certainly damage it. If you really have to remove it, I think you should scan it at high resolution or make a good quality copy before trying anything.

You don't mention the print's vintage. Do you know whether it's on resin or fibre paper? Resin prints are a little more resilient than fibre prints. If it's pre-1980 it's more likely to be fibre - if it's pre-1900 it could be an albumen or collodion print.

Soaking the print and glass in water, as suggested by Aron, is probably the only way you'll remove a stuck print.

Good luck,
    kevs

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format