?better 35 mm projector

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Normo, May 28, 2013.

1. Normo

Normo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an older but good kodak 35 mm projector. In the medium format world I gather from my reading that lenses matter. Are there any 35 mm projectors that are felt to be better than the kodak. Would a rollei 350 do a better job projecting the image because its glass is better? Thanks for any experience. Norm

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I assume the way the transparency is mounted is of importance too:

-) flat between glass planes

-) open but with special optics that have a spherical plane of focus

-) open but mounted under tension in special mounts to keep the film flat

3. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Rollie 35mm projectors seem to have quite cheap lenses. I know of two types here in UK and none are really what you would call top class. My Rollie burnt out a few years back and I changed it and bought a Leitz projector. The difference is to be honest ASTOUNDING! <My good transparencies I always put between glass and the difference in quality really shows.

4. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    A Leitz projector is probably the best you could get.

5. Normo

Normo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any problems with a Leitz CA2500, assuming it all works, is that a fine machine? Are any of the brauns worth looking at, since they may be newer. I am leaning towards the leitz but since all my slides are cardboard and plastic mounts I am not sure which lens would work best. Some of the older threads suggested that non glass mounted sides could pose a focus problems for the flat lens. Is the colorplan 1:2.5/90mm a good lens? Any recommendations THanks Norm

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I learned from selling photographic equipment:

1. Kodak projectors are not returned back broken.
    2. Kodak projectors do not jamb.
    3. Gravity is dependable.

7. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    At my work there are 100's of Kodak projectors floating about. In one of our venues, we still have a few clients using slides, and currently I'm relying on an Elmo carousel projector (with a Kodak lens) - it's been in constant service for 20 years and hasn't failed. The Kodaks have not been as awesome as I would like - although the old solid metal ones (SAV2000, etc) are great (but don't have an automatic shutter/dowser like modern ones do, and are thus annoying in a venue context).

Marc!

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can spend extra money for upgraded lenses for the Kodak machines, although if you are using slide mounts without glass, the Kodak curved field lenses are very good.

9. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I saw a Hasselblad Projector in hasselblad catalog may be 20 years or more.

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We are talking about 35mm slides, not medium format. Hasselblad though took over that carousel-system for their MF projectors. That may be confusing at first sight.

11. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Aha! Buy a Leica projector than.

12. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a Rollei and think it's not as good as the Kodak Ektagraphic.

13. Normo

Normo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I looked up the ektagraphic models, there sure are a lot of different models, and they sound like they are good. And then there is the ektapro models. Forgetting the bells and whistles are there differences in projection quality or build quality that would recommend one over the other. Thank s Norm

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Ektapro is the newest line of projectors from Kodak. I believed they made them in Germany. They use the same lens and tray although their tray has cover you can use the same tray as the Carousel and Ektagraphic. They have brighter lamp. Built indisolve control as well as RS-232 interface for computer controlled slide show. They tend to have very high price even used. The Ektagraphic are a bit better than the Carousel series and can be had for very low price used.

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Ektagraphics were designed to be very robust, and to ensure sufficient image brightness in large rooms.

Think commercial sales presentations, vs. in home amateur use.

17. chip j

chip j Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've used cardboard mounts in my Leitz Pradovit RC w/good results. They would pop, but a touch of the remote would clear that up. By the way, where does one get anti-newton glass slide mounts these days?

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2013
  18. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. hidesert

hidesert Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had a Rollei P35 for many years with the standard isco lens. Then I upgraded the lens to the S-Projar. That made a huge difference. The highlights in your slides just sparkle and add a three dimensional effect. I now have the Rollei P350 AF which is 10 or 15 years newer. I'm very happy with it.

20. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The carousels were the consumer models with higher models having more features.
    Concurrently the Ektagraphics were the Pro models. They used the same optical systems.
    I'm not familiar with the new Ektapro models. I guess because I haven't come near to wearing out the one I've got.

For image quality I don't think the Leica machines can be beat.I haven't been involved in the trade for a long time but
    believe the Rollei and Braun machines came from Asia not Germany. Keep in mind, my memory is pretty much shot.

21. chip j

chip j Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks AgX.

22. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At least the Rollei company did not resort to re-branding. But they had built an own plant in Singapore to profit from lower wages.

23. pgomena

pgomena Member

I've seen Schneider projection lenses for Kodak projectors. These days they go for peanuts if you can find them sitting around unused. They show up on occasion at camera stores. Yes, I know, camera stores are harder and harder to find.

24. Francis in VT

Francis in VT Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Better 35 mm projector

No.1 Cardboard or plastic mount no glass is better with a curved field lens.
    No.2 Slides in glass calls for a flat field lens.

The major difference of a Leitz projector over a Kodak or other branded projector is the lighting system.
    EK and the others use a heat absorbing glass, to protect the slide. Leitz does not use a heat absorbing glass
    but a Dichroix [SP] reflector to absorb the heat this results in a Whiter light on the screen.
    This can be shown this way. Set up two projectors a Leitz and a Kodak side by side to project on a large White screen.
    Use slide frames to open the mechanism and adjust the projectors to get the identical size os on the screen.
    The Leitz will be a pure White while the EK will have a Greenish tinge.
    I'm sure this will have some effect on a slide projection quality.

25. Normo

Normo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am the original poster. I am more confused than I was. I guess if money didn't matter, would people recommend a specific model 35mm projector/ If reliability mattered, would it be another, and if sheer availability of parts mattered would people recommend another. I have gone on line and looked at ebay prices. For ektagraphic projectors ( there are tons of models) prices range from ridiculously low to 100-200$. For leitz or hasselblad we're talking a different price level completely. Judged only on the merits of the projected image, which one is "best", again, the price is not the issue. Thanks BTW I used to have a kodak carousel and stack loader and "GAVE IT AWAY!" a couple of years ago. It was OK, but I have 15K slides and want a high quality projector. Thanks Norm

26. chip j

chip j Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    BTW, who services Leitz projecters today?