Beuatiful, huge grain

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Erik Petersson, May 30, 2010.

1. Erik Petersson

Erik Petersson Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    can be achieved when exposing Provia 400 at 1600. Look!

[​IMG]

Are there other ways to get such an effect, maybe also with less contrast?

2. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Shoot Elite Chrome 400 in 35mm for massive grain, cross-process it with a bleach bypass for even more.

Normal E-6 processing by a lab? No idea. You only control exposure, did you get a push? I've seen 400X hold good detail @ 1600.

3. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your pic doesn't look grainy to me. Have you printed it optically? I'll bet it would be even less grainy if you did that.

Films are so good these days that I have had trouble getting enough grain in certain applications. Provia 400X is an absolutely amazing film (as was 400F before it). Cross processed 35mm, rated at 100 (which should increase graininess) held up amazingly in some 12x18 prints that I did.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/62521-films-just-too-good-nowadays.html

4. Erik Petersson

Erik Petersson Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes this is Provia 400x exposed at 1600 with a two stop push.

2F/2F, this is as large grain as I ever have seen on any of my colour photos. It is not printed optically, I don't have access to that.

I guess that cropping is the answer. That will indeed increase grain. It just feels like a waste not to use so much of the film...