Beware of user c2future

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by roadster55, Sep 21, 2013.

1. roadster55

roadster55 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Beware of user c2future. The guy is a total fraud and crook. He sold me a camera and never sent it. He is:

Name: An Van Le or Le Van An
    ID: 012620769
    Address: VT19 BT6, Xa La, Ha Dong, Hanoi
    Emails: an.le2804@gmail.com, an.lv2804@gmail.com, taurus2328@gmail.com
    Tel: +84 90 6280486

Users like him soil the experience of useful forums like these.

2. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can I take it that this was a sale on APUG? If so he must be a subscriber. Any details on the sale i.e. when made, what responses to your enquiries about where the camera was etc?

I wonder how long a history on APUG he has and how many posts etc

With hindsight was there a suspicious pattern?

I think that other APUGers would appreciate some more details to help them.

pentaxuser

3. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    He was active as recently as 14th Sept this year but no posts or threads. I wonder what active means? I thought you had to be a subscriber to sell items and if you sell an item on APUG then doesn't this count as a post?

pentaxuser

5. roadster55

roadster55 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Initial contact was made on APUG but eventual sale was made through eBay. To cut a long story short there was a lengthy discussion via email, SMS, watsapp including pics of the camera etc. but after payment was made, there was nothing but silence. I can see that my emails and messages are being read but no response.

Just be careful if you post a WTBuy and get a response. My senses were lulled by too many successful purchases from honest people.

6. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Are there any APUG members who live in Hanoi who could pay him a visit?

7. puketronic

puketronic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Was it through paypal? Can you file a dispute?

How long has he been silent for? days, weeks, months?

8. roadster55

roadster55 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Initial attempts were through Paypal but that did not work so we dealt outside Paypal. His Paypal account(s) have now been frozen/shut down. He's been silent for weeks. He's been ignoring messages and emails. The past week I've tired direct phone calls but after a few days of trying it now seems his line has been disconnected. The signs are pretty clear.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What does eBay say about the matter ?.

10. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the rare times "issues" occurred with PayPal I have stopped and cancelled the transaction right there. Serious red flag time.

Did you also eventually work outside of eBay too?

11. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You need to get a little street smarts when dealing with strangers. Of course, an experience like you just had is a great motivator. The internet makes is easier for these types to find a victim.

12. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wonder what stops this person re-registering under a new name here on APUG and doing the same again or indeed doing the same on e-bay?

pentaxuser

13. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Their honesty. :sad:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    We have ways of preventing reregistrations, but nothing is foolproof. With any kind of private sale, you have to be careful and use common sense to minimize risk. If someone has no real history on APUG and contacts you via PM, lives in a country where it would be hard to pursue fraud, and asks for payment in a form that offers no protection, these are all bad signs.

16. roadster55

roadster55 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Red flags were there, I chose to ignore them. Once in a while we all take a foolish risk, and (hopefully) learn from them. I'm just here to warn others.

17. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An other reason why I ONLY use Paypal for almost every $$ exchange. Before they release funds is when the buyer is happy with the transaction. Yes it can be a real pain for selling as I always use "signature required" for out of country shipping. Lost an EOS 1N camera because of not doing this. Hope the buyer enjoys the camera he "stole" from me.

18. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I understand, and thanks for warning to others. Don't feel bad - this is life, it will turn around, maybe tomorrow someone will give you some nice camera for free, or you will get some avesome flea market find :smile:.

19. Dali

Dali Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paypal protection is a joke. PM if you want some detail.

20. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Anybody who has a series of numbers after an e-mail name is a spammer or scammer.

21. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did not say they were great I meant they are really the best option going. That is why I use the signature option for Canada Post. To prove to Paypal that I sent the package & I have evidence that it was received. Helped me out on my last transaction that I sent back a unusable Canon A1. The buyer did everything he could to prevent it but I had the evidence that he indeed received it. Photographs of the package being re-wrapped as well but they did not require that but I had my bases covered. Also do NOT use Paypal shipping as they are NOT covered by Canada Post insurance.

22. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One way of testing the sincerity of a seller is to try to meet in person and see what happens. "So you live in Hanoi, how convenient. I will be going there in three week's time and I can come by your place and finish the deal". If they start making excuses as to why they cannot meet you their intentions are quite clear.

23. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Does that also include profile names, like - let's say - Tom1957 ?? :D
    But seriously, you can't make this statement in general. I know a lot of good people using numbers in their email names - like year of birth - encouraged to do so by providers.

But if the email address is: 12H34987dnb23n234nn@youdontknowme.com, then get worried ....

(whoever can deceiver this code, wins a nice expired plastic TLR single use camera)

24. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Um, I have numbers after my email name, and I'm the most honest person you'd ever meet.

25. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I meant e-mail names where the scammer signed up fo an e-mail accound under some common name and yahoo or g-mail attached a lot of numbers to it because 12000 other people used the same name. You can usually tell just to look at it that it is a scam account. Not always, but much of the time. As far as Tom1956, that should be obvious--I'm 1956 years old.:cool:

26. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom:

As far as I am aware, those email names aren't assigned by the email provider - they are chosen by the customer.

Generally, because it can be hard to find an email or website name if you want to include something fairly common.