big camera broker

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by johnielvis, Jan 13, 2013.

1. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    is there anyone that knows of a big camera broker in chicago area--someone that can take a huge lot of equipment and sell it at a decent price? what are peoples' experiences...there are ebay auctioneers but that looks like dimes for dollars in the end..better to donate to a thrift store you know?

how is the best way to eliminate a bunch of BIG stuff and not get shafted cause you're not a salesman? WITHOUT going through classifieds selling piece by piece? All at the same time...anybody done this?

2. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Any dealer is going to give you pennies on the dollar. Expect 1/4 to 1/8 of what they'll sell it for at retail. Better off ebaying it yourself or selling in the classifieds here.

3. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    piece by piece will not work
    this is all-or-nothing
    dimes for dollars sharks are less desirable than throwing it all in a dumpster
    maybe this is for a donation then but there's no place that wants the stuff
    ok...what worthy institution would WANT stuff like this?

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If a dealer doesn't make money on the stuff he buys, he doesn't stay in business. His markup needs to be at a level that will keep the lights on, employees paid, and the doors open.
    The longer stuff sits on his shelf, the more money it costs him, and there is a limited market for LF and ULF gear, especially ULF.

Generally speaking, in the buying and selling of used stuff arena, the larger the lot, the less money per item. Another rule of thumb is that the retail price of a single piece of the lot should be enough to fund the lot price. The reason is that it make take years to sell the rest of it.
    If you anticipate a problem selling all the stuff, a dealer will have the same problem. To get the best price from a dealer you'll need to sell in small quantities, maybe one or two cameras at a time.

If you need to get the best return you can quickly, the best choice might be a local auction. If you have some time available, and you can transport the gear, you might consider tables at some of the camera shows, or try contacting and orgainziation like PHSNE to see about including the gear in their auctions.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your best bet is contacting KEH. Go to keh.com and call their telephone number.

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would call KEH also. Don't expect a lot money for used cameras.

Jeff

7. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    What are you getting rid of?

8. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup, either catalog, photograph and describe it all for the auction site or a For Sale forum like here (and get paid for all that effort), or take less and in essence pay someone else to do all that work.

Am actually discussing the same with my 11 year old son today. He wants ME to put a whole bunch of listings on eBay for his Nintendo DS and about 20 different game cartridges. Not gonna happen. I told him we can go to the local Game Stop, be in and out in 5 minutes but get 30-40% of what he could sell on eBay. He wants more money so he's learning today how to do eBay auctions...

9. Len Middleton

Len Middleton Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Somewhat moot seeing you have changed your mind, but you have already identified how best to do it except a little nuance could be helpful.

If you really NEED the money, then the options get short in a hurry and KEH and others become your solutions, but for a fraction of the value for the reasons so well covered by others (overhead, profit, holding costs versus how quickly it will move, etc.). Also having stock that does not move can negatively reflect and impact the pricing of the rest of the inventory...

If you have a full system and are prepared to part it out yourself, you can do much better, but time and patience are basic requirements.

You are better to use a phased approach in parting it out, by selling some of the less common but desirable pieces (e.g. ULF wide angle lenses, extremely long lenses, etc.). You could then sell off some accessories (extra film holders, film, etc.), and finally sell a basic kit consisting of camera with one lens and a couple of holders.

Otherwise you will be paying directly (commission or profit margin) or indirectly (reduced price to you) for someone to do that for you.

While there may be a number of people interested in some of the more interesting stuff (WA and long lenses), few will want to take everything unless they think they want it themselves or can quickly and easily part it out themselves, hence reduced price to you...

And yes, I have been one of those who in the past (less so now) who have bought a total system to get a few items I wanted and parted out the rest. The result was often getting the bits that I wanted for little or even free after it was all done, so I know the scenario well...

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Len

10. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    KEH (as mentioned)
    Also try National Camera in Minneapolis ("shutterbug" dept at bottom of http://www.natcam.com/camera-store-mn.html)

assuming it's (to put it somewhat inelegantly) more than garage sale items. I assume that by "big stuff" you mean fairly high value large format equipment. It's a small, specialized market.

From my experience, both will treat you fairly as long as you expect them to resell at price that will cover what they pay you, plus salaries and overhead, plus allowance for defective cameras that might come back to them, plus a profit. That generally equates (from what I've seen) to paying 50% of their selling price for items in reasonable demand. Since their selling price should be higher than a private party selling price, perhaps 60% of what you would get selling it yourself.

Whether that's a dime-for-dollars shark is something you have to decide. You can look to see if they're selling something you have and get a sense of % if they've quoted you a price for your equipment.

KEH travels to a lot of camera shows to buy equipment (http://www.kehblog.com/p/keh-road-schedule.html) but I don't see Chicago area coming up soon.

I would avoid those places that sell your items on ebay. First, I think that since they know so little about the equipment and it's functional condition, buyers factor that into their bids. Second, from what I've seen recently, they have high shipping charges which also affect what buyers are willing to bid. And then, of course, there's the commission they take.

Good luck whichever route you take.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
  11. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    they are no where near chicago
    but you might consider giving ep levine's a call.
    they have been dealing with used camera equipment for 40+ years
    and are good folks. i am not speaking of a seller to them, but a buyer from them.

good luck !
    john

12. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is Glen Evans still around? He might be interested in a large buy. Probably at pennies on the dollar though.

13. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    He is and you're right..

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second the 'what do you have?"

16. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think John REALLY wants to sell all his kewl goodies.:smile:

17. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's interesting that there are so many suggestions to sell the gear to KEH.

Most certainly of all resellers, they are probably the most consistantly able and willing to buy. When they go to shows they don't offer up anything for sale they are only there to purchase.

One reason they are popular to buy from because they have some of the best prices available.
    So, how is it that they are able to sell for such good prices? I'll wager it isn't because they offer the best prices when they buy gear.
    Just say'n...

I am not trying to imply that KEH is unfair in their purchase pricing. And, if I were trying to sell some gear quickly, I'd certainly consider them, but not if getting the best price was a primary consideration.

Given the overall trends in Photography, I figure that just about anything I buy will have zero value when I'm ready to part with it.

18. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have tried local camera stores, but sometimes they cannot sell the item. KEH is better set up to take in used equipment that the local stores.

19. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    try columbus camera group too, they are in ohio.
    they have been around for ages.

20. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And Midwest Photo Exchange

21. nawagi

nawagi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Chicago Photo Equp Buyer

Try Glenn Evans - 773-761-3302. He has a building full of stuff and buys in bulk.

NWG

22. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So where in the Chicago area is this building full of stuff? I'm feeling a bit of GAS.

Edit: Never mind. I found his website.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  23. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you are trying to sell large format gear, actually KEH is NOT the place to go. I brought a bunch of large format lenses to a camera swap meet they were attending. They were NOT interested in modern, big-name large format lenses and wouldn't even quote me a price for things like a Rodenstock 90mm f6.8 Grandagon, a 150mm f5.6 Sinaron (aka Rodenstock), or a 210 mm f5.6 Sinaron (aka Rodenstock), and they weren't interested in the odd stuff I had either, like my 14" B&L f4.5 Tessar. If you're not willing to be very flexible on price, then selling it yourself is the way you'll have to go. Much like the software developers adage, you can have it fast, you can have it profitable, and you can have it good. Pick two.

24. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes...all the usual suspects...all regular buyers are pennies on the dollar people and individual sales are too time consuming.

pennies on the dollar is less desirable than destroying nice stuff as the pennies on the dollar people watch.

a fitting end will be destruction pictures...If someone is interested and driven, they have the stuff already, so donations don't work. Selling results in interest only in bargain hunters.

sad but true.

however, my mind has been changed for now--putting stuff aside has wonderful rejuvenating effects I'm finding...put it all down for a while---take a break....

been a victim of the current nasty illness epidemic...much better now, but for almost two months it's been nothing but laying around LOOKING at stuff going unused...

getting rid of it all would have been a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

the appropriate solution is to put it away when not in use...so it is out of sight...absence makes the heart grow fonder.

now recovered...now shot a couple sheets...now completely different attitude about it all--it is no longer the heavy "albatross" it once was....

time gives perspective as well as distance is the lesson here.

Do not become depressed do nothing rash...easy to say...doing it is difficult.

25. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    oh--by the way--the thing that really changed my my mind was all the interest in the 600 fuji

many people emailed/pm'd me to say that the are looking for one of these

but they are available new

they are extremely easy to find

if you are really in need you pay for new

it's this kind of....what is the word?...is there a word for it?...not hypocracy...but it's not the fault of these people...there is nothing inherently wrong with it....it just strikes me as very non-genuine...

it's like people that only want something for a bargain don't deserve it because they are not willing to sacrifice for what they want.

two months is a long time to think about things...

26. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I just went to his site... AMAZING... I need to visit his place, is one allowed to go in and look at all the stuff.