Big-W stopping film processing.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by patpat, Jul 27, 2012.

1. patpat

patpat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There appears to be one less option for El Cheapo processing. :sad:
    I went into Big-W Geelong, to get some cheap Fuji Superia Reala to be developed. When I got there I saw that they have upgraded their lab to a new Fuji machine. It is wet lab, but they have dumped the separate film development unit. They are now sending film out.
    I wonder if this is rolling out nationally?

2. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not familiar with Big-W. I don't think we have those in Texas.

3. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Not that I've ever processed film there, but I'll check out the Big W in the city (Melbourne) & report...

Marc!

4. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why are people suprised by this?

5. patpat

patpat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was talking to the attendant there, and they said that they actually got a large volume of film, as they were one of the only places left that consumers know that do film. In-fact they were so busy once with film there, they could not do it the same day. I only use them when I want something done quick and cheaply. Otherwise I send my colour C-41 out to other local camera stores, to keep local film processing an option. Most of the times there I got scratched negatives anyway.

6. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not familiar with Texas. I don't think we have those in Australia :wink:

7. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...I know I've never seen one!

8. patpat

patpat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think there is one Small-Texas over in Queensland.

9. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you go to Big W, you are either looking for pillows, mince meat and batteries. It's news to me that Big W offered film processing — I'm amazed at the revelation. If you are in Geelong, Roydhouse Cameras still process C41, but not E6. I do not deal with them: very negative attitude toward film and film cameras and will NOT stock Fujifilm.

10. patpat

patpat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Big-W were good if you liked scratched negatives :laugh:. I had some bad experiences with Roydhouse. They said the film will be ready in a hour. Come back in 3, and my film was not sleeved. I did not use them much. But if I was testing a new, film camera I inherited, I would use them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2012
  11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    We used to have Texas in England. It was a chain of DIY stores.

Steve.

12. Wyno

Wyno Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If you were forced to listen to Lee Kernaghan on a road trip (as I was) you'd know that there was Texas QLD. Fortunately Jenni's son now has his own car.
    I think you'd probably be better off sending your negs to Bonds for processing. It might be a little more expensive and take a little longer, but the results are good every time. (And no, I don't work there).

13. patpat

patpat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Most of the time I send it out to other labs anyway. I have had some good experiences at bond. I must get some test photos done, and compare the labs results.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or take the stuff to PRISM in North Melbourne. They're doing my C-41 and E6.

16. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At a desperate time of my life I worked for the late Rabbit Photo as a casual. One of their processing setups in which I spent a day or two was right in the front ground floor of (from shaky memory) Meyer? Perhaps Big W? in Warringah Mall in Sydney. It was quite odd to be feeding a neg processing machine in the middle of a department store surrounded by folk shopping for kids' toys and socks and undies.

Fortunately this particular set-up worked fairly cleanly--although the shop staff used to complain about chemical smells--unlike the Circular Quay shop where the stale discharged chemistry slowly filled a drum which had to be changed a couple of times a day. There was no experience to match being nice to a customer while seeing out of the corner of your eye a slowly advancing pool of chemistry leaking out of an overflowing drum. It made it out of the shop and onto the footpath once. The North Sydney branch was well designed: it had 2 entrances which allowed an endless stream of commuters exiting the railway station to take a shortcut and distribute lots and lots of dust and grit.

Who can blame Big W for pulling out!

17. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've actually had a couple good experiences with them, one involved getting some film developed, the youngish guy was eager to please. Another time they had a set of 6" Ilford MG filters at what must have been the 3" price, grabbed them, thankyouverymuch! Another time, I had run out of fixer (thought I had another bottle in the stash), ran down there and they were something like $25/1L for Ilford, I said "WHAT??? I only pay $15 at the place I usually go to, I'll just wait till I can get back there" (slight embellishment, I think Vanbar was closer to $20), the guy said, "no, wait, I reckon I can do it for $15 then".

Two very cheap shopping sessions... Thanks Royds!

18. Colin D

Colin D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It so happens Big W in the city is a 5 minute walk from my work so I use them to do my c-41 and as of last week they were still happy to do it. There are an awful lot of international students living in that area, I think they keep the film side of things ticking over enough to make it viable. It is a cheap and quick service. Tomorrow I will drop another roll into them and report back.

19. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    +1 for Prism. Always helpful and good results.

20. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You guys don"t know what your missing -- Texas is great!

21. Colin D

Colin D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, just dropped another roll of Port Douglas :tongue: holdiay snaps in to Big W at QV, they're still doing it with a smile and at $5 a pop for 36 exposures.

22. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, that's pretty good, what sort of turnaround?

23. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    You shot 36 sheets on the Linhof whilst on holiday!??!?!?

24. quickbrownfox

quickbrownfox Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i went to my usual Big W (warrawong) last week and they have removed the c41 machine when they had renovations 2 weeks ago. The lady was very apologetic, she knew a bit about film and had been a great help when the local Camera house was less than pathetic. she said head office had decided to discontinue film processing but she could send it out and for $10 and a 2 week wait i could still have it done there... lol. She did say the Dapto store had had renovations earlier on in the year before the decision to discontinue so they had a machine there, and when i went there, sure enough, $5 a roll negatives only and a couple of hours turn around depending on how busy they were. The lady there also stated once that machine broke down, they would not be repairing it. :sad:
    hope this helps everyone as im shooting as much c41 as i can before its all over.

25. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

What!? Do you mean the QV Centre in Swanston or Russell Street?? That's interesting. $5.00!? That's cheap!! :pouty:

26. Colin D

Colin D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Hahaha, funny man, if only I could afford to lug the Linhof up there and back, and keep my marriage in tact, so unfortunately I had the Pentax MZ-5n with the exceptionally crappy Sigma 28-80mm lens.

BTW LHJ, I am about to self develop C-41 4x5 film, feeling a tad nervous about the prospect. Do you know where I can get some cheap storage bottles for the chems, I have tried a couple of op shops but no cigar.