Binders for Negatives

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by brian steinberger, Feb 21, 2013.

1. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I've used the Printfile workbox for years to store my negatives. If you're not familiar they were tough plastic 3-ring binders that locked together, keeping dust out and protecting them. Well now I see they are discontinued. The closest you can get now is the Bestfile archival box, which is similar though smaller and not as nice as the Printfile was.

I'm curious how others using Printfile pages are storing their pages. Years ago I used to just use standard 3-ring binders, but got spoiled by how nicely the plastic box type binders protect my negatives.

Recommendations??

2. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. brian steinberger

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    This is basically the same as the Bestfile product, which is great, BUT I'd like to see them be made thicker, they fill up quick with negs and contact sheets.

4. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the PrintFile white plastic page hangers and dedicated four-drawer metal office filing cabinets. Not the most space efficient. But given sufficient space (an empty nest bedroom converted to a photo workroom for mounting, matting, and filing) storage is easily expanded by simply purchasing additional units.

The pages stay clean. They are very accessible (no digging required). Filing systems can be easily modified as needed. There is no weight compressing the negatives or slides. And it's all very clean and orderly.

Ken

6. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use ring binders bought from my local WH Smith's for less than a £1 each.
    Richard

7. brian steinberger

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
  8. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those look really nice... hmmmm.

9. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use carton archive-boxes, about 4 1/2", 110mm, deep. They are (allegedly) archivally ok, having no glue and only stainless fittings. I place them three deep with the glassine neg-sheets and contact-prints horizontally, all in open shelving which is probably horribly anti-archival, oops.