Bizzare deletion of slide scanner threads

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by scribblescribble, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scribblescribble

scribblescribble Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I find the deletion of several questions on slide scanners on thegrounds that it is "digital photography" to be astonishing. :sad:

Slide scanners have almost nothing to do with digital photography. I suppose we should also delete any questions on the proper storage of negatives, because that is "furniture", and this is not a forum on home furnishings? :confused:

Important images on slides need to be preserved - they will decay over time, especially if they are projected regularly. Anyone who projects slides should have a slide scanner, nobody who only uses digital cameras needs a slide scanner.

2. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think the point here is that there is hundreds of websites dedicated to either digital or hybrid photography. As this is one of the few sites that caters to an all analogue crowd. So, if you really need advice on slide scanners, use the sister site of dpug.org as they are more open to these questions. Your analogy of furniture does not help your cause.

3. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Nothing too astonishing -- this is a purely analogue site. Check out DPUG!

People still put on slide shows:laugh:?

4. X. Phot.

X. Phot. Guest

Yes.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2011
  5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You really don't want to ask questions about scanners on APUG. You will get useless answers by people like me that will relentlessly challenge the notion of digital copy as safe storage while promoting slide projection and analog darkroom printing.

6. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    try dpug.org bud.

7. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I know, I had just a bit of a fun with the question. Our students put on a couple of slide shows every semester -- one with B&W slides (negatives contact-printed onto litho film) and with color slide film.

8. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can see the point of the OP's question, but also that dpug might be a better place to look for an unbiased opinion on matters which can be regarded as in any way remotely "digital".

(I just wonder sometimes whether it's easy, in our enthusiam for traditional photography, to forget that "APUG.ORG is an international community of like minded individuals devoted to traditional (non-digital) photographic processes".....and not a community for slagging-off digital methods of imaging?) :wink:

9. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
  10. scribblescribble

scribblescribble Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is much safer that negatives/positives. The original media will always have the best quality at the outset - but after 50 years your colour film or colour slides will have faded noticably and the digital copy of them will not. Add another 50 and the monochrome ones will probably also have started to fade.
    Surely only someone who knows and appreciates the quality of film can assess the quality of scanned film, and thus assess the quality of a film or slide scanner. That is why I think going to a digital photography forum to ask about analog film scanning will not have especially good results.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2011
  11. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi welcome to Apug!

The terms of service for all of us members are very clear re this:

"-Questions regarding digital techniques or digital techniques connected with traditional processes should be posted at hybridphoto.com [dpug.org] (or the many other digital oriented sites)."

12. Hexavalent

Hexavalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Should "scanned negatives" instead of "real" prints be allowed in the galleries?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.