BJP: Fujichrome Velvia 100F gone, Velvia 50 gone for LF

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Brian C. Miller, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Fujifilm discontinues two professional films

Velvia 100F is no more (last stock being shipped in December), and Velvia 50 is discontinued for LF.

2. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Wait...what?! I mean 100f, eh whatever, but 50?!?!?! I did not see that coming, especially after the big hoo-ha over it's discontinuance last time!

3. batwister

batwister Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm incredibly shocked about Velvia 50. A LOT of LF landscape photographers in the UK will be lost with this news.

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At least the last shipment isn't until December, I have about 20 each rolls of Velvia 135 and 120 in my deep freeze and it gives me time to buy some more if I wish.

5. batwister

batwister Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For anyone who knows the British photographer David Ward, the thought of him going digital sometime soon is a bit sad. I'm sure more so for him.

6. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can see the 100F, it's similar to Provia 100F; but the 50? Ugg. Guess it's time to go on an E-6 binge. :sad:

7. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, Fuji is still making Provia and Velvia 100 in 4x5 and 8x10, so it's not like everything is going out the door. And according to Fuji, Velvia 100F was introduced in 2003, so I'm guessing that Velvia 100 was supposed to be the replacement, anyways.

And Velvia 50 apparently is still being manufactured in roll film format.

Really, just how much of a market does LF E-6 command, anyways? Not a lot. Kodak dropped E-6 entirely. I had thought they would have whittled it down to 100G, but kept it in production.

Dangit, I always hate stuff like this, although I know it's coming. It's like my feet keep getting closer to the edge of a cliff.

8. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I switched from Velvia 50 to 100 a while ago because I found that they appear damn near identical and I gain that extra stop. Oddly, I feel 100 has slightly more latitude as well. 100f had a weird look to it that I never trusted.

9. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is how you can help to maintain Film:
    Buy fresh
    buy often
    shoot the lot
    develop ASAP
    And don't use those D things. :smile:

Velvia 50 will still be made in 135 and 120. Don't worry! Just go out and shoot those 20 rolls! And buy more! :smile:

10. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What is sad is that my son just got into film shooting, and he shoots slides like me. The thought of E-6 going away is very sad for the two of us, as we both like to project our slides. The slides we have will still work in the projector, but when we can't get any more slide film, then what? I can't print all my good pictures at 16x20 - slide film made showing pictures to a group of people a breeze, and when I step up close to the screen, I see more detail, not bigger pixels.

11. mhanc

mhanc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well... I will certainly be shooting a lot more slide film. If E-6 goes away it won't be because I did not use enough of it!!!!!

12. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Is this just for the UK market or will it affect the US market also?

Anybody know for sure.

13. batwister

batwister Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks like just the UK.

'Fujifilm Professional has revealed that production of a number of its films is to cease. The affected films are Fujichrome Velvia 100F in 35mm, 120 and 4x5 inch formats and Velvia 50 in 4x5 and 8x10 inch. The last shipment of these films will arrive into the UK in December 2012.' - http://www.ephotozine.com/article/f...-120--4x5-and-50-4x5--8x10-discontinued-19729

The announcements have only been on British based sites.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's still not good news, as what gets discontinued in GB eventually gets discontinued elsewhere. It's getting harder and harder for this Team Ostrich member to keep his head buried in the sand.

16. guyjr

guyjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmm... I suppose there is still hope then. Fuji still sells 220 format Velvia 50 and 100 only in Japan, albeit at insanely high prices.

17. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I actually think that it's not such a bad thing.

Here's why: There is a limited volume of E-6 sold. Obviously, there is a best seller, a second best and a worst in Fuji's line-up. As such, there is an opportunity to streamline the range. Fuji would have done the due diligence on what sells best, second best and worst. They have simply taken a business decision to remove some of the dying wood. They would have concluded that 100 was the best seller.

It is a far more efficient (not arguing necessarily"better" here; just efficient) business model to only offer one film in E-6 as it reduces variance. And, efficient production models have a greater chance of longevity. You just need to look at Porsche in the 1990s when they basically scaled back to offering only the 911 range to see that this is a proven paradigm.

I think that this decision means that there will be at least one E-6 LF available for a while, yet.

18. batwister

batwister Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  19. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    PROVIA
    VELVIA 100
    These are not going away! Lots more slide film!! Keep shooting! Keep shooting!
    Velvia 50 is also still going to be available in roll film, i.e., 35mm and 120.

20. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which Fuji E-6 process emulsions will remain in 4x5 and 8x10, and which in 135 and 120?

21. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was gonna post the news but someone did already, sigh, so much for me wanting to shoot 4x5 velvia 50 in the future.

22. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, dehk, you can buy a freezer and a supply of film now in anticipation of your future need.

23. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    (third time!)
    Provia: 35mm, 120, 4x5, 8x10
    Velvia 100: 35mm, 120, 4x5, 8x10
    Velvia 50: 35mm, 120, and that's it, buy the LF while you still can.

24. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Brian. Third time's a charm.

25. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Provia as far as I know is discontinued in the U.K, although some retailers still have stocks of it.
    What Fuji films are discontinued also depends on what the Fuji film division in individual country s wish to import dependant on the volume their sales.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
  26. j.c.denton

j.c.denton Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Astia has been discontinued in 35mm before 120 was abandoned as well. Seeing Velvia RVP50 going out of business for LF makes me really nervous. I've shot Velvia RVP 100 several times and it is not a replacement. I just sold my stock of RVP 100 and replaced it with RVP 50.

There have been three films I was really fond of: Fuji Astia, Velvia50 and Kodak E100G. Now its only Velvia 50, and that starts to fade away.