Black Canon FX - How rare is it really?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Steve Smith, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A friend has just bought an all black Canon FX. Wikipedia has this to say about it:

Is this true?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_FX

Steve.

2. Ricus.stormfire

Ricus.stormfire Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    wikipedia = user edited content = take with a pound a salt. Some articles are very factual, but just like "urban dictionary", user edited data = tons of BS and opinion rather than fact.

If this information is true, I'd urge your friend to sell it tothat collector at a huge premium, no need to give them stuff cheaply, let them pay, they can afford it.......

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2012
  3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    He has been looking for one for about five years now. He knows that they are rare but doubts the Wikipedia statement, as do I.

Steve.

4. Ricus.stormfire

Ricus.stormfire Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, that sounds a bit like a stretch...and the " There are only two known all-black models" bit leaves room to ponder how many "unknown" ones there could be. I see the source for the info is from the Canon online camera museum, but nowhere there it states anything about there only being two known. I suspect whoever wrote the wikipedia article took some liberty to add that, and wikipedia editors neglected to put the BS alert aka citation needed to it. That camera "museum" is an interesting resource though....and I would recommend anyone with an interest in Canon cameras to check it out. (http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/)

Maybe your friend has got something special there, idk. I am not interested in collecting cameras anymore....

5. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe he should put it on eBay and see what the world market says it is worth.

6. PentaxBronica

PentaxBronica Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hang onto it, use it carefully, and enjoy it. It'll still be worth something in years to come.

I'm forever finding cameras and lenses which evidently sat in a wardrobe for decades judging by how few signs of use they have. They usually get new light seals, new batteries, and regular exercise after arriving here.

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure is a interesting camera.

Jeff