Black Stuff in developer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by jeroldharter, Dec 11, 2006.

1. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    For the first time, I noticed some black stuff in my developer. I use Zone VI developer with both Kentmere FP VC and Arista.edu PWT papers intermixed. I use the single tray method of processing so there is little likelihood of contamination.

It does not look like a precipitate, more like black specks or filaments that float in the chemistry. They don't seem to affect the prints at all but I don't like it. Any thoughts about why I am having these black specks?

Thanks.

2. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jerold, usually, this is a result of container storage in some form (I get this if I have selenium toner in a jar for too long). The solution may still be viable and working well, but it may be time to get a new bottle of something and mix a fresh batch. Best, tim

3. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I noticed something like this in a bottle of working-strength stop bath that had gone unused for a while. Thinking "better safe than sorry," I poured it down the drain and gave the bottle an unusually thorough cleaning. Given the very different environments of stop bath and developer, I'd be a bit surprised if it's the same stuff, but my inclination in your shoes would be to discard the developer. Even if it seems to work, there's no telling what the long-term consequences might be.

4. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use only one shot developer, but sometimes I do use it into the second day in the darkroom and that is when I notice the issue. The developer is far from exhausted though. I should probably just change it out though.

5. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe these are compounds of silver. My father-in-law, a professional photofinisher, used devices to recover the silver from the developer in his B/W machines. The funds from the recovered silver covered some of the cost of his chemicals.

6. MMfoto

MMfoto Member

Shooter:
    Super8
    I see black specs in the working solution all the time and have assumed they are little flecks of developed emulsion that have "flecked" off the side of the paper during handling.