Blank film with RB67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by BetterSense, Mar 17, 2012.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just developed 2 rolls of film from my RB67 that came out completely blank. I have no idea how that happened. Luckily I can reshoot, but it's pretty alarming.

The edge markings are developed and I just used the developer to develop some negatives within the last week, so I don't think the developer died on me. I didn't put the fix in first, because the edge markings are there.

I'm not an expert with the RB67 but I've shot a few rolls through it since I got it. The camera has been sitting for a while, but it worked last I used it. I didn't leave the dark slide in, because I remember taking it out and the RB won't fire with the darkslide in anyway. It was slightly overcast weather so I don't think I could have underexposed that much even if I tried--it's 400 speed film and the camera only goes up to 1/250th of a second and f/32. I suppose the only explanation is that the lens shutter did not fire. Any other ideas?

2. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dark slide?

Is the shutter working?

3. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is the lens mirror up knob set to M or N ???

4. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It turns out that the little knob-thing on the lens is important.

This is the first time I used this lens and it turns out the mirror-up was set, so the shutter never fired.

O well.

5. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bettersense to learn now :cool:

Don't feel bad I loaded a hasselblad wrong once and shot one roll on the paper.

6. rhcgn

rhcgn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Same thing happened to me in Lisbon a few weeks ago, taking portraits of someone I met on the street. (can't re-shoot this) I hope I will never forget the MLU again.

-Roman

7. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Practicing mirror up were we?

Ive done the same.

8. Alan Klein

Alan Klein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I still take double exposures with mine. Or skip a frame thinking I will take a double exposure.

9. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Very common mistake when not familiar with the new camera. There are a few more mistakes you have to make... we look forward to hearing about em soon.

10. wwwphil

wwwphil Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    All part of the learning curve, anyone who has not done the same tells lies.

11. jsouther

jsouther Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Back when I had this happen shooting my RB it turned out the shutter on my 127mm "C" lens was bad. You could hear the shutter click but it was actually not opening at all.

12. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dang it! This just happened to me. Processed two rolls, got three frames out of it. Three frames and edge markings right away meant I didn't f-up the processing. Mechanical error. In this case, mine. Remembered this thread, looked at lens. Yep. I don't remember turning the MLU screw out, but there it was. I think there were some decent street shots on there. Oh well.