Bleaching Fujifilm FP-100C

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by jcc, Nov 27, 2013.

1. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today, I shot a sheet of FP-100C, peeled it, took off the paper border around the negative side, then tossed the negative in bleach (Clorox). I know this will destroy the image while it clears out the black backing, but I just wanted to test it -- proof of concept, if you will.

Well, I got some of the bleach and backing mixture in my hand. Currently, my hand looks and feels like it has chemical burns. I'm not normally sensitive to bleach, so this begs the question:

What is the resulting solution when bleach is mixed with the FP-100C negative? I'm assuming the chemicals that spread from the developing pod has some effect on it too. Does any one know?

2. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The slime on the negatves even without bleach can cause some burn for sure.

Gloves.

3. artonpaper

artonpaper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The careless combining of any two chemicals may cause very harmful results, i.e. chlorine bleach and ammonia. You should be very careful about breathing fumes from such experiments as well as coming in external physical contact with chemicals and mixtures of unknown composition.

4. Alpenhause

Alpenhause Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any Chorine containing bleach should be handled with utmost care. Not only because the bleach itself has effect on skin and because of its fumes.
    But any stronger acid (as from a pre- or succeeding attempt of getting rid of carbonate incrustations) will release Chlorine gas from the bleach.

6. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format