Blue line throughout entire roll

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by mikecnichols, Jul 23, 2011.

1. mikecnichols

mikecnichols Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On my last roll, I noticed on the negs a red line throughout the roll. I just got them transferred to CD and it comes out blue. I'm not sure what would have caused it. I'm not sure if it would be chemical related or camera related. Here are a couple of examples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any advice or knowledge.

Mike

2. heespharm

heespharm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What camera u using... Looks like a light leak to me... Same spot each frame

3. mikecnichols

mikecnichols Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Minolta X700. I thought it might be...but I've never encountered this problem, so I wanted some input from others.

This camera does have a clothe shutter, so I was thinking it might be causing it.

4. heespharm

heespharm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah a tear in the shutter may do it to... Check ur seals inside ur camera usually around the back of the back lid... Are they gummy? Or degraded?

5. mikecnichols

mikecnichols Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They seem perfectly fine, nice and fluffy as foam should be. I think I might test another roll through it and see if it happens again. I'm still relatively new to this camera, though I had not had that happen before. I'm wondering if maybe the lens wasn't properly on the camera. I'm used to my Nikons and listen for a click. After messing with the Minolta, it seems you have to slightly turn the lens back like you are taking it off to get that click.

Thank you for the help!

6. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is not unlike my strange blue stripe (slides) on my first roll with a Bessa-L. In my case, it must be a light leak. Considering that the X-700 has no transparent window on the back, I think you should replace the light seals. In the case of my Bessa-L, I still don't know exactly where the problem is, but there is no problem if I use the camera with the lower part of the ever-ready case. I'll have the foam replaced soon (or I'll do it myself when I find a kit).

Best wishes
    Fabrizio

7. mikecnichols

mikecnichols Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks......where do I start in finding a kit? Is that something that would come through the big shops or online?

8. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Somebody sells online pre-cut light seals kits for various cameras, and was mentioned here on APUG several times, but as I did not need this kind of intervention I did not take good note.

Regarding my camera, I think I found the problem. A certain spot of the seals is "punched" as if somebody pushed very hard with a small screwdriver. I tried to "revive" the foam raising it a bit. The leakage occurs in the upper part and - after careful mumbling on the problem - on the receiving sprocket side in my case. After having inferred where the leakage should occur in theory, I looked at the spot and behold! there actually was this "dent" in the foam. The dent would look quite insignificant at a visual inspection, but now that I know where is probably the problem, I suppose the dent is the cause.

9. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A definitive test would be to put two layers of black gaffer's tape over the gap in the case where you think the light leak is. If the problem goes away when you tape it shut and comes back when you don't, you have proven what the problem is.

You can also do this as a temporary measure to keep the camera operational until you can get it repaired.

BTW: Do you have a leather case for the camera? Keeping it in the case while there is film inside is another way to minimize the possibility of light leaks.

11. mikecnichols

mikecnichols Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info folks! I have a case for it...that it came in. When I received the camera, the outside of the case was covered with mildew. I put it through the wash and whatnot, and it looks pretty clean. The inside is definitely clean, but I'm still afraid to put anything in it. Definitely a good idea though. I think I'll try the tape method.

12. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's exactly what I am doing now. I keep only the lower part of the ever-ready case, which protects it from light. I know this will work because the blue stripe, in my roll with the problem, was only in the last frames. I shot most of the roll with the ever-ready case, in the historical centre of Rome, but then took some pictures in my house, on a tripod, and so used the camera without the case.

The frames affected were the last ones (four or so) among those taken in the historical centre and then the ones taken at home but not the last two or so. Considering that the roll is rolled in the receiving sprocket with the emulsion "outside", I infer that the frames taken in Rome which were affected were the last ones because they were hit by the leak while they were rolled around the receiving sprocket.

The last two frames were not affected, which means the leak is in the right side of the back, not the left (where the transparent window is). They are not affected because they never reached the leakage on the receiving sprocket.

The leakage appears on the lower side, so it's on the upper side of the camera. Upper-side-right is the small dent in the foam.

The only real problem I have in confirming this is to waste a roll or two. I'll have to buy a couple 12-frame rolls, I guess.

I don't understand why is the leakage blue. If the leakage is from the foam, I would expect a white mark.

13. mikecnichols

mikecnichols Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I replaced the hinge seals on the Minolta X700, and I think it has fixed my problem. We'll know the truth tomorrow when I get the negs scanned, but looking at them in the light tonight, I don't see the line like there is in the other rolls. Time to throw in a roll of Ektar into this baby!

Mike

14. mikecnichols

mikecnichols Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm glad to say that I believe the problem is solved! Thanks for all the help and advice!

[​IMG]

15. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A scratch?