Bogen 3055 Head

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Cold, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Cold

Cold Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi all,

I have a Bogen 3055 head that, with this product now available (http://www.manfrotto.com/product/0/MSQ6/_/Q6_Top_Lock_quick_release_adaptor,_complete_with_plate) I'd really like to swap out the big hex plate for the Arca system.

From the looks of the 3055, I should be able to remove the central screw (allen head) that's on-axis, directly below the center of where the hex plate sits and take the QR mechanism off of the top of the ball, but on mine, I can't get the screw to budge. Am I evaluating the head correctly? I don't want to force it and damage the head.

2. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Simply takes sufficient force to break the threads loose on the securing screw. I don't know the technique to break it loose (hammer, heat, both) but I do recall folks posting how to remove the standard release to substitute an Arca type QR system.

3. Cold

Cold Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks!

I'm not unskilled in the ways of...mechanical persuasion, but I didn't want to force the issue only to hear the snap-crackle-pop of "now you've done it".

4. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  5. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    RRS web site comments:

"Some Bogen/Manfrotto ballheads can be modified in a similar manner, but the tapped female socket in the stem is metric 6-1.0. Buy our B2 AS II clamp and fix to the head using a M6-1.0 flat-top metric machine screw. Use LocTite type 242 (blue fluid, medium strength) to keep clamp from twisting."

RRS lists 'kits' for a number of Manfrotto heads (4x series), but does not list one for 3055...so maybe it is not possible to convert.