Bogen X35B

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by ChristopherCoy, Aug 29, 2011.

1. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Over the weekend I found a used Bogen X35B on CL, locally. It seems to be extremely well kept, and works perfectly.

It appears to be, and from what little I have read, was a very "economical" model enlarger sold between 1981 and 1990 for around $100. It's on the smaller side, and only enlarges up to an 8x10 I believe. It has a Voss f/3.5 50mm lens on it, that seems to be pretty sharp.

I can't seem to find very much information online about this model enlarger. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it comparable to the Beseler Cadet's?

2. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anyone?

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Put some pix of it up. It may be one of those generic models sold under different labels.

4. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks similar to the Vivitar I bought for my daughter. Pretty basic maachine, will it do 6x6 as well as 35mm? The Viviter has an insert for the negative carrier to change between formats. I found a Yashinon 40mm that allows 11x14 enlargments with 35mm negs. Don't know how much you got it for but it won't allow for very critical work. If you need a small enlarger for a temporary DR, look for an Omega C-700. It's a good versitile machine that will enlarge up to 16x20 and takes up to 6x7 negatives. It's still light enough to pack away in a closet between uses.

6. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I was aware that it was pretty basic when I bought it, but I didn't want to purchase something too large or too expensive just yet, without knowing exactly how long this film kick will last. If I get into it seriously, then in a few months, I'll look for something a little better.

This one has a carrier for 35mm negs only. If a 6x6 carrier is/was made, this one didn't come with one.

I picked this one up for $50. If I can make a few passable 8x10's with it, then I consider it a good deal. I just can't find anything about them anywhere online. A google search of the brand name and model number turns up a few posts on other forums, and a 'used price' website with no further info.

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like you are going to be the APUG expert on that model :smile: Set it up and see how it works and start a thread on it.

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bogen is actually a distributor, so it is most likely that this enlarger is also sold and known under other names as well (like Vivitar).

I assume that it turns on and that it appears to project an image correctly. Can you determine what bulb it takes?

9. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any country of origin? Looks like a stipped down Durst, made in Japan or Italy?

10. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bogen X35B
    110-125 volts, 75watts max
    No. 211 Lamp 75watts max
    Bogen Photo Corp
    Englewood NJ.
    Made in USA.

[​IMG]
    photo by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 211 lamp is one of the most commonly used, so that bodes well for continued use.

I used a basic, non-main brand 35mm enlarger for years when I started out and was happy with the results. Try yours out - it may very well give you evenly illuminated prints with sharp focus from corner to corner.

And be sure to have fun!

12. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

That's good to know!

I won a GraLab 171 timer for $20 on ebay yesterday so that is on its way. Once I get some trays, a safelight, some more dektol, and some paper, I'll be good to go for a few test runs.

Like I said, I didn't want to spend too much on an enlarger just yet. But if this will allow me to make some decent prints until I get back into the swing of it, it'll be a good deal.

It works great as far as I can tell. Everything tightens and looses, and moves as it should. There isn't any rust or anything on the housing, and it pretty much looks like it sat in a closet since it was bought. We'll see.

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the basic set up is similar to a Durst: because the blub does not shine directly though the neg from above you can use a good quailtiy 75 wat 75 soft white bulb as the imprinted brand name is on the top and will show.