Bollywood

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by RattyMouse, Oct 7, 2013.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is Bollywood going digital as fast as Hollywood? Bollywood makes MORE movies than anywhere else so they certainly carry some weight in the film market. Don't they?

I would guess that India is slower to go digital than the US so hopefully after 2015 Bollywood can sustain film production.

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cine markets in general are declining faster than expected.

For India that means that the share of new optical-film copies forms only a tiny fraction of screenings of new films.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In any consideration of the digitisation issue one must not mix up the share of analogue cinemas with the share of optical-film copies within the new-released films.The latter will be smaller.

Furthermore, the number of cinemas is even growing in part of the world. Those will be digital only.

4. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If I can download any movie from internet , they can also. I read television programs are playing more important part in India , at some hours , even bus drivers follow their programs and nobody at the streets. They have a hindu legend and they produce every program on that legend.
    It continues for years and every year they make more on that. One american visitor writes , subject and its continuation turned to absurd and extremelly cheap. But this is their god.

If you want , watch india televisions from satellite and I saw ten cobras attacks a bad guy and kill him :smile: I dont know how they find these ninja cobras but it was really scary :smile:

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not quite true. In India, even due tio digitisation, new cinemas are emerging.

6. Ten301

Ten301 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mustafa Umut Sarac: If APUG had an award for the most colorful, fun and interesting replies, you would have to be near the top :smile:

7. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, but are the movies MADE on film or are they digital from day one?

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The relatively tiny volumes involved in shooting movies on film aren't nearly enough to maintain the industry.

The volumes involved in projection prints are what makes the industry work.

9. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd say think about it like this, what influences the decision to shoot film over digital?

If you want a certain 'film look', or 'digital look', the answer is obvious, but this is not a huge percentage of filmmakers anywhere.
    If you're renting your equipment, and can only afford so much on your budget (filming, editing, production, etc), and one is extremely cheaper than the other then that'll influence most people's decisions.
    If you're a big studio have a lot of old(er) film equipment lying around, and you can't afford to upgrade the whole lot to digital, then that'll influence what they choose. (This also counts for rental houses, the prices they charge are proportional to what they've got available).

So, does bollywood have lots of old film equipment lying around that they've been using for years? Are the incomes and profit-margins enough that they can all afford the latest digital equipment? Is the competition so fierce that mostly they just scrape through with a few pennies left, and they rely on the hand-me-down second-hand (film) stuff from the rest of the world?
    (not rhetorical, I've got no idea).

10. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dont think this is true. Aren't most 1st world nations already heavily digital in theatres now? Sony just recently signed a deal with Kodak for 450 MILLION feet of film, for 2 years of production. One studio, half a billion feet of film. Surely a huge amount of that is for filming the movies, no?

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No - mostly for projecting the films.

The orders would have been much larger in previous years.

12. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Lets calculate , there is 3 hour film and 180 minutes and 10000 second.

If it plays 24 frame per second and frame is 24 mm of film, it makes 6.000.000 mm - 6000 meters- 6 Kilometers

If sony bought 450 000 000 feet it makes 150 000 000 meters - 150.000 Kilometers and it makes 25.000 movie copies

Let me be clear , Sony purchased 25.000 3 hours movie film release film

There is almost 40.000 screens in usa at 6000 theaters.

25.000 3 hour film release film is only capable to feed half of the screens with a film like jaws.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013
  13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It has been dicided not release new film copies in the USA after 2 years or so. In Germany there will be no new film copies after next year.

14. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If Kodak 35mm film is 100 centimeters , it makes they must find 150 000 000 new customers to compensate the loss only by sony.

PS

I learned there are 2200 screens in india and 500 movie theaters , do you think it does save the kodak ?

PS 2 - There are 13000 movie theaters in China and add 9 everyday. I think if does save the Kodak ,its chinese market but not indian.

15. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chinese cinema digitisation is above world standard. And the number of cinemas is even small compared to other major markets.

16. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Furthermore Kodak has to compete on this market with Agfa, who once stated to intend to be last one standing.

17. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Money is pouring into China and India at massive rates. The cost of conversion to new technology is not a problem for them and they probably welcome it as it makes them feel even more modern.

"Nobody" seems to care that electronically projected movies look horrid compared to film. Apparently most people throughout the world have little regard for quality, choosing convenience and cost first every time.

18. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Small cinema or big cinema , they must make play the movie and older equipment will pour from usa to china , may be this is china reason to open 9 theaters everyday.

I dont think chinese people would prefer to watch horrible mp4 , they have every kind of LCD DVD players at home and they would not invest to see a Hollywood star on blurred screen. Cinema is quality , they have excellent hong kong cinema experience in that 45 years time and they would not switch to horrible screening . They are not fool. The better the screening quality , more customers will come to films.

19. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Money is pouring to Europe from USA because cıstomers have more Money to buy goods. Every year more money invested to Europe than invested to China. I think they want to keep Paris streets clean and cafes open for American Soldiers.

20. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    New cinemas will be digital. Most probably digital-only.

21. Dali

Dali Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is not because France re-integrated NATO that you find US soldiers at every street corner. You should visit France someday or change your spectacles (one does not exclude the other).

22. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    If I join the US Army do I get to go to Paris and hang out at the cafes?

Well, sign me up! especially if we get to enjoy French Cinema.