Books for the Fine Printer

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by arigram, Jan 3, 2005.

1. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am constantly trying to better my darkroom skills and be able to create fine prints. I am not there yet but I work hard.
    Since my photographic education lies solely on books, I would like to hear suggestions on further reading I could do.
    So far I have:
    - Camera, Negative, Print by Ansel Adams
    - Beyond Monochrome by [font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Tony Worobiec, Ray Spence[/size][/font]
    - Way Beyond Monochrome by [font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Ralph W. Lambrecht, Chris Woodhouse[/size][/font]
    - The Master Photographer's Toning Book By Tim Rudman
    - The Lith Master Photographer's Printing Course by Tim Rudman
    - Edge of Darkness by [font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Barry Thornton[/size][/font]
    - Fotografia by Platon Rivellis

I work with 35mm and medium format cameras and only in black&white.
    Feel free to plug your own book if you like.
    Since I can't walk down to any bookstores and flip through the books, I would appreciate some description so I can order it online.

Thanks guys

2. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aristotelis, it's funny - I was just looking today at amazon, checking out "The Film Developing Cookbook" by Anchell and Troop. I feel I need to improve on the technique and recipes - i.e. which developers with which fixers, wheter to use acid stop bath or not, whether to dilute more or agitate less, etc...

I can't provide any suggestions, apart from those books you already mentioned, but I'll be following the advice posted - closely :smile:

Denis

3. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok, maybe I should add that also have "The Darkroom Cookbook" by those guys, but I haven't really done much with it apart from getting a bit of information on what the chemicals do.

4. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently bought Les Mclean's book, 'Creative Black and White Photography' and find it full of great information, and very clearly written.

5. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let's not forget: Barry Thornton's "Elements" and "Edge of Darkness" Very recommendable.

6. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Try some of these

creative elements-eddie ephraums
    the book on pyro- gordon hutchings
    the permanence and care of color photographs -wilhelm and brower
    post exposure -ctein
    gradient light- eddie ephraums
    The Fred Picker Newsletters- three binders

7. mikeb_z5

mikeb_z5 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'll second Les Mclean's book, 'Creative Black and White Photography'.

Mike

8. mark

mark Member

I got Barnbaum's book, Art of Photography, for my Birthday. The information is very good and I recommend it for that. Unfortunately it has no illustrations so that is it's down side if you are a visual learner. Here is the link. It has a section on printing but considers the process from previsualization to final print as one wholistic process.

http://www.barnbaum.com/artofphotography.html

9. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    creative exposures & gradient light, both by Eddie Ephraums

10. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You left out Rudman's Master printing book. I forget the exact name. Seems hard to find at times.

11. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Third. Full of good stuff, easy to read

12. SamG

SamG Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wondered if one (or more) of you would mind discussing what you like about Way Beyond Monochrome. It was my understanding that a lot of the book covers digital and photoshop manipulation as opposed to traditional film work.
    Sam

13. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know who led you to believe that a lot of the book covers digital and photoshop maniupluation., but i think that is incorrect.
    With almost 300 pages, digtial is discussed within 4 pages.

The book is more advanced than just a basic beginners book, which may or maynot suit your style. There is quite a bit of technical knowledge , which i like; however, if you don't care for this type of infomration, I would suggest you pass ; however, if you do enjoy the more technical aspects of photography it is a great reference book .

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can 2nd the vote for both Bruce Barnbaums (look for a 1st edition it has prints in it) and for Rudmans - The Photographers Master Printing Course. Still have to pick Les's book and the Way Beyond MonoChrome book.

16. rjr

rjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nick,

Rudman´s book "The Photographer's Master Printing Course" is back in print since August 2004 (in China, as many photo books are today) - "reviving" the market and lowering the prices of used issues.

Ari,

I´d recommend Larry Bartlett & Jon Rudman, "Larry Bartlett's Black and White Photographic Printing Workshop". Got it at the Photokina at the Hove Books stand for 25EUR after lusting for it for weeks.

Bartlett was not only a good printer (no photographer!), he knew how to teach it - there is a special and useful scheme in the book.

One page shows the result, one the plain print and the steps to achieve the result, explaining all the tricks in text and images.

17. Shesh

Shesh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In addition to ones already mentioned, I found quite a few interesting techniques and ideas in "Creative Elements: Landscape Photography-Darkroom Techniques"
    by Eddie Ephraums

18. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sadly missed. I believe he printed for David Bailey.

19. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well they're making my new camera so they're reviving more then the book market-)

20. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Elements of Black & White Photography by George Todd is similar to Adams Examples book. He uses the making of 20 B&W prints to explain various aspects of photography & darkroom techniques.

21. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My understanding is neither of those.

22. eagleowl

eagleowl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've just bought...

..."The master printer's workbook" by Steve Macleod.
    The text is informative without being excessive,there are plenty of photos to illustrate the techniques,all of which have the photographer's handwritten notes and sketches.

23. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you can find used ones, the Lustrum Press (R Gibson) Darkroom and Darkroom 2 from the 1970's are good references to photographers' thought processes. I know someone here on APUG sold a set in recent months.

24. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I will second that. It is a well written book with lot of good information. I have to admit, I was put off on the book for a long time because of the cover photo, which I really dislike. However, one day I found myself looking through the book for something about staining developers and found it really is a great book. Just goes to show, you can't judge a book by it's cover.

25. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Snap! The front cover photo reminds me of an old Picture Post shot so I assumed the book was quite old, or at least old-fashioned in outlook. Wrong yet again... I would have bought it the 1st time I saw it if it had the back cover waterfall on the front cover! As it is, I got it a couple of weeks ago and even then only after reading Les' description of split-grade printing here. I agree, a very clearly written and useful book.

Unfortunately Aristotelis, I can't recommend any other book as your library exactly duplicates mine except for the one book, Fotografia, and a few other books I have that I would not recommend above those you already have...

Cheers, Bob.

26. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was about to suggest this one also. Rather than the often used technical approach, Steve gives some insight into his interpretation of images using different techniques, with a more visual approach. It's very effective. Personally I've gained quite a lot from this book over the last year or so. Take a look at the Rotovision website - they generally have very high quality productions.

The others i would suggest have been mentioned. Mr Les McLean's, Tim Rudmans (Printing), and Bruce Barnbaum's (only 2nd edition available new) would be all you need in my opinion.