Books?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by monkeykoder, Aug 29, 2008.

1. monkeykoder

monkeykoder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm looking for recommended books on alternative processes. I'm probably not ready to try it yet but all the more reason to study it while I'm on my way there no?

2. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    John Barnier, Coming into Focus comes to mind as a good introduction. Good bedtime reading! :smile:

3. Falkenberg

Falkenberg Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    newsletter reprints

judy siegel - the world journal of post factory photogrpahy. al sorts of good advise and information to get your brain thinking.

5. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I found Keepers of the Light to be good for both a historical background and for learning the processes. You can usually get a copy cheap on the used market.

- Randy

6. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    specific to platinum/palladium and Ziatype, The New Platinum Print by Sullivan & Weese. You can order it through Bostick & Sullivan, who are sponsors of this site.

7. monkeykoder

monkeykoder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the suggestions it would be great if you could find that kind of book in a store to check it out I hate going in blind.

8. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I found the Coming into Focus at my local city library. At a later date, when I had the money I bought a copy. Worth every penny to me.

9. davido

davido Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I will second 'the book of alternative photographic processes' by Christopher James. it's fantastic overview of pretty much everything, I believe. it's also a very good read with lot's of inspiring images.

-david

10. bnstein

bnstein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'll third it.
    You could try searching amazon as some of the alt process books (Barnier does but James doesnt) have the opportunity to look at a few pages which is often enough to decide.

When in the same situation about a year ago I also found http://www.alternativephotography.com and http://www.unblinkingeye.com/ very useful source of articles and examples.
    AFAIK the post factory photography isnt active anymore and I havent been able to find any pdfs around. Although the Sullivan book on Pt/Pd is reputedly superb I went for a more general book 1st to try and get a grip on what took my interest. (Its blue blue blue blue except when its stained black black black :grin:smile:

Good luck and have fun

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2008
  11. Shakey

Shakey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Christopher james has sample chapters of his book on his website which is stated aboved

12. monkeykoder

monkeykoder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well I ordered a copy of Coming into Focus off of half.com ($12.24 after shipping who can say no) so we'll see how that one treats me :smile: I'll probably pick up Christopher James' book at a later time.

13. alexphoto

alexphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, A very good book not yet mentioned is Spirits of Salts, by Randall Webb & Martin Reed. Available from Silverprint in the UK. Martin Reed is the proprietor of Silverprint as well. An eclectic mix of photographs as well as a good technical manual.
    Alex

14. monkeykoder

monkeykoder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So far I have to say I'm happy with picking up Coming into Focus. It's a step up from just a technical manual.

15. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Go to the local library and ask them to Inter-library loan any book that you wish to review before buying. The library is a wealth of information, yet few people use what they have to offer. The library should be able to get just about any book out there that is not overly rare. I use them all the time for just this purpose and it has saved me a great deal of money.

- Randy

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  16. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might also want to check out this book that I posted about before here on APUG. Although it isn't a cookbook for Alternative Process, this book by William E.Leyshon does cover a lot of the historic photographic processes and may be a nice introduction to it all...

PHOTOGRAPHS FROM THE 19th CENTURY: A process identification guide
    Author:William E.Leyshon

You can find a link to a downloadable PDF of the entire book in the Links section of APUG here:

http://www.apug.org/portal/?id_category=93

Marco