borderless easels

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by raizans, Apr 7, 2010.

1. raizans

raizans Member

i was looking at my options for 16x20 and 20x24 easels, and i'm scratching my head over these reasonably priced borderless easels made by saunders. how do they work? don't the blades block light as they hold the paper down? i'm confused...

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    there is a rail at each end with a 45 degree angle, the paper fits under this rail and because of the angle the image is exposed without a border.

4 blade easel hold the paper down.

3. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depending on your enlarging lens, sometimes you get a reflection off the inner side of the adjustable rails, resulting in a darkish band along the edges of the print. The solution is to take them off and paint them flat black to minimize the reflections.

4. raizans

raizans Member

i think i get it now. the rails don't actually cover the paper, right? the angled edge just holds the paper down.

5. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a 14x11 version but quit using it a long time ago. Personally, I prefer a border so you don't touch the actual image when handling it or if you use tongs when processing. Also I have mostly stopped dry mounting because if something happens to the mat board there goes your print so the border holds archival corners.

6. Dave_ON

Dave_ON Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I find with RC I don't need anything to hold the paper down. I made my own borderless easel just by cutting a piece of masonite to 11x14 and putting rubber feet on the bottom. When I use FB I use a bordered easel, but I'm toying with the idea of using tacky glue for borderless.

7. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of different border-less easels and like them, more image on the paper. The ones I have work perfectly.

8. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's what I've done with mine. I really like it. I don't run into problems matting and having a little sliver of the border show.

9. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Handy for printing 35mm full frame on 11x14 paper and just cut a mat to fit the photo.

10. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My experience with them is that they're fine if your paper is flat. Anything with a curl to it will make you nuts.

11. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second what Frank said.

I have gone the vaccuum easel route to deal with curled paper, and sometimes even will lay 1/4" galss over the easel once the vac is on to flatten every thing out.

I am short on horizontal space so my 16x20 and 20x24 packets stand on end, and hence develop a bit of a curl.

I alos print RA-4 with paper cut from 12" wide rolls, and there is very definitely curl to deal with with that material.

12. Neil Poulsen

Neil Poulsen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Vacuum easel occasionally come up for auction on EBay.

13. darkroom_rookie

darkroom_rookie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wish I had one of these... Who knows, maybe I could fit it in a 8x7ft darkroom?

[​IMG]

14. youngrichard

youngrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    See my previous contribution http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/68661-flat-under-enlarger-3.html. I got the idea from Polysales who sold a perspex version.
    Since last year I have found that Spraymount doesn't seem to be as sticky as it used to be and I have to clean and re-spray more often, so I am looking for a substitute.
    Richard

15. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both bordered and borderless easels. I find that I rarely use the borderless easel - I prefer to make the print with borders, and then trim the excess when mounting.

Large easels are expensive. If I were looking for a larger easel for occasional use, I would probably make a DIY borderless easel. A sheet of plywood, a bit of formica (or a sink cutout that a countertop installer would otherwise throw away) works just fine. Use superglue to attach a strip of aluminum to act as a guide in locating one edge of the print. Use double-stick masking tape in the corners to hold down the paper. The rationale for this is that it is easy to make, cheap, and for an easel that will be rarely used, it's good enough.

16. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For projection printing murals, huge paper does not need to be totally flat. Tape or pins on a wall are all that are needed. The focal spread at the paper side is massive.

That apparatus may have been used for contact printing or something like that.

17. darkroom_rookie

darkroom_rookie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ic-racer,
    What about reflections from walls, table corners, cabinets etc? Are they a much bigger problem when printing murals, specifically colour murals?

d_rookie