Bought an N90s...

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by FilmOnly, Apr 7, 2010.

1. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Off and on, I have been considering buying an N90s. Yesterday, I just could not resist KEH's price on a LN- with the MB10. I cannot imagine this camera being priced so inexpensively. In fact, I got an E screen (LN), a LN 1.5" Nikon strap, a body cap, an instruction book, and an MS-11 (also LN) all for a bit over $250--thank you, digital.

Anyway, I bought it because I figure it will be an excellent cold weather camera, paritcularly with the CR123s. I do not need AF capability, and plan on using the body with my AI lenses. It is such a nice looking camera, too, especially with the MB10 attached. How soft is the shutter release on the camera...and the MB10? I like that the MB10 has a vertical release, too. I welcome any comments or opinions on the camera or accessories.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2010
  2. spolly74

spolly74 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sometimes I think that KEH will be my downfall.

3. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Arguably the most "bang for the buck" in Nikon AF.

4. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the N90s so much I have 4.

5. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have a couple as well. Love them. I bought the first one for $1300 (yes, I've had it a while) and the latest one for under $200.

I would do it all over again.

6. R Shaffer

R Shaffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got one myself a couple of months ago, they are perfect size & capability. I'm mostly using old AI glass as well. Enjoy

7. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I like mine as well. It is a nice looking camera, and works well. I got mine at the beginning of the year from KEH as well. BGN rating, on sale for $29 plus < $10 shipping for the body only. I was amazed, it looked and performs like a photo store demo unit. They must have had an over-abundance of the n90s at the time, because that sale remained in place for about a month after I got mine.

That experience sold me on KEH and I have spent too much their over the last couple of months. But it sure is fun!!!

8. AmsterdamMartin

AmsterdamMartin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    in the early nineties, as a very poor student, I had a love-hate relationship with the F90x, I saw it in a professional shop window in the town where I lived.

Love because it clearly was a special tool, as anyone obviously could see. And very high-tech. Not high tech like with all kinds of peeping-like features and on paper fabulous specifications, but true high tech features that anyone ever holding and using a camera really would use for the benefit of his photographs.

Hate because I couldn't buy it, it was many dimensions away from my budget.
    So obvious thoughts of someone who can't afford: "what sucker needs such a camera to make good photographs". And "it's a shop window camera, but too expensive to really use", "people who can buy one take them to bed, instead of into the field".

Nevertheless I decided that I could really use one, one day...

Nowadays a F90x is regarded as dated, and surpassed technology, even in analogue terms.
    I got 4 brand new of them by now, thanks to digital.
    That's because I miss the ability to change films in between a roll efficiently (I am not a three digit number a week shooter, because I develop etc them all myself).
    There are so many of them because they kept making them in large numbers even when "it was already over".

And I have 2 MB-10 and 1 MF-26. But I do not need these accessories in my style of shooting anyway. Allthough "focus priority" on MF-26 is sometimes useful to me. The F90x is perfect in exposure, when I'm lazy, when I shoot expensive E6 or any kind of flash.

I cannot say how much I love using the F90x. It is what I need, whether unpersuable in the past, or outdated at present.
    The use of the F90x feels so natural to me, I KNOW that camera and the line of AF-D's.
    My dream machine for ever.

The four I keep in "unprofessional", brand new Nikon Snout bags. But they are of the toughest and finest leather and they fit my shooting and carrying style.

9. Hikingman

Hikingman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome to the N90S fold!

10. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use my F100's and N90s rigs all the time. I also found that they can take a fair amount of rain (wedding shoot).

Kiron Kid

11. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This was the first camera I bought new when I started shooting for daily newspapers. I still have it today, after what must be hundreds of thousands of rolls put through it. It works flawlessly and to this day is one of the most accurate meters I've had in any camara.

I think it was a bit ahead of its time and was definitely underrated. I shot fast sports with its servo AF and to this day it has never required a repair...in short, all the things I love about Nikon are in this camera.

12. spleenrippa

spleenrippa Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I picked up two- one came with MB10- for under $120 CAN. Both are in awesome shape!

13. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is simply the best Nikon I've ever had. N90S + MB10 combo is also the best ergo. I just wish that they put extra shutter dial to compensate the vertical trigger. And MF-26 is also a very sophisticated accessory. True it is not easy to use but when you figure out it's just amazing. You can do interval timer for time lapse, freeze focus, loooooong exposure, etc. Sheeeeshh....

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I very much appreciate the responses. I am glad to see that the commentary is very positive. I think my N90s is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I have been sold on KEH for some time now. I do not bother dealing with anyone else.

With regard to a cable release for the camera, is there any difference between the MC-20 and MC-30?

16. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  17. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I very much like using the N90s. It has a very ergonomic design.

I noticed that the shutter speed after 1/500th is 1/640th. I mention this because my Sekonic light meter (in 1/3-stop mode) does not specify 1/640, but 1/600 instead. I am wondering why there is a difference here. I gather there will be little impact (40 thousandths of a second), but please correct me if I am wrong on this.

18. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1/640 is correct. Sekonic could be rounding.

I have an F90x and am the former owner of an F90. I can't say I use the F90x much anymore, but it is still a good camera. The small amount of money that I could get for it makes it worth keeping. I loved the F90 when I got it (1994); my first Nikon. What an awesome camera.

With manual lenses the F90 family bodies are terrific. They're not bad with AF either actually!

Definitely get an E screen. The grid lines make handheld photography (and even tripod-mounted photography) so much easier in many cases.

19. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, Jim...

Indeed, I have already installed and used my E screen. I also have one in one of my F3s. They are quite helpful. For some reason, I find the one in the F3 a tad nicer. Perhaps I favor the center circle in that screen.

20. Terry Breedlove

Terry Breedlove Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I still have my N90s which I bought new oh so many years ago now and I still shoot with it. It has served me very well in all kinds of weather and is a little beat up showing the years of professional use it has endured. However if I was looking for a used auto focus Nikon I would get either the F100 or F5. My main gripe with the N90's is the difficult to reach focus lock, and old style aperture adjustment on the lens.

21. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I too prefer the F100 over the N90s. But still find the N90s to be a very nice setup.

22. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had owned a couple of F100s. So far, I prefer the N90s. I like the shape of its grip better, and its overall handling. I like the metal rewind fork, too. The F100 does have metal top and bottom plates, though. Overall, I think I will end up favoring the N90s.

23. Keith Pitman

Keith Pitman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm trying to get rid of all my 35mm gear, but still have one of these. It's a great camera and very reliable.

24. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Having started with a fully manual FM2, I like the aperture adjustment on the lens. I find it much more intuitive than having to turn the little command dial.

25. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It certainly is mine. I cannot just peek at the website without being pulled in. I swear that if I do not check the website regularly, the computer just goes there on its own. Then when I least expect it, their magazine shows up in the mail! :wink:

26. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sirius Glass: your comments are very apt.