Bought an OM2n Today...

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by FilmOnly, Feb 3, 2010.

1. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Over the past ten years, I have tried multiple 35mm bodies from all of the major Japanese manufacturers...except Olympus. I have also tried a Leica R4, and did not appreciate the viewfinder bulge.

In an attempt to fill a certain void, I bought an Olympus OM rig today--an OM-2n (without hot shoe), 50/3.5 macro, 100/2.8 tele and a few other accessories. I see the OM-1 and OM-4 versions discussed quite a bit (especially the OM-1), but do not see as much commentary on the 2 or 2n. Perhaps it is because the OM-2n (as compared to the OM-1) violates the "operates without batteries" premise that some value so greatly? I reviewed the OM-2n's features and specs, and it seemed like a good choice for my uses. The viewfinder would seem outstanding: 0.92x and 97%--and it is unobstructed, too (apparently, the viewifnder information disappears or can be turned off). How soft is the shutter release? I do not like "hard" releases--i.e. wherein one has to press down more firmly. I have heard that Zuiko lenses are excellent. Will the OM-2n let you load film with the Winder 2 attached? My Nikon FEs refused to let me do this, with either the MD-11 or MD-12. Anyway, I welcome any opinions...

2. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The OM2/n is a great camera. Most of your questions will be answered when you get it. The lenses, especially the wide angle's are excellent. Note however that all the lenses went through minor revisions over the years. The latest are multicoated. The better and exotic lenses are harder to find, and are expensive when you do find them.

3. maderik

maderik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    > apparently, the viewifnder information disappears or can be turned off).

It switches to just a simple match needle in manual mode. But it only goes completely away when the camera is off.

> How soft is the shutter release? I do not like "hard" releases--i.e. wherein one has to press down more firmly.

Very soft. The shutter/mirror sound is also quiet and smooth sounding (e.g. not harsh or metallic) for an SLR.

> Will the OM-2n let you load film with the Winder 2 attached?

Yes. In fact it's recommended by Olympus to do it attached to minimize possible light leakage through the coupler port.

4. naugastyle

naugastyle Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is my SLR. I love it. I graduated from an OM-10 in 2007 (well, by force, since my OM-10 broke) and have been extremely pleased with it.

I have the typical 50/1.8 lens but I also have the 100/2.8, which gives beautiful results and is not overly bulky/heavy.

[​IMG]

For some reason I have two pairs of lenses that are very close to each other yet I usually find uses for them all--the 100/2.8 and the 85/2, the 28/2.8 and the 24/2.8. The 28mm has been my favorite focal length for a couple years now.

If you are desperate, you can operate the OM-2N without batteries--on B.

While I agree that the shutter does not need a firm press and that it's a very smooth sound, it's definitely not stealthy. Although I already try to be somewhat noticed with my camera rather than sneaking around, sometimes the sound still frightens people who are caught unaware.

5. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one (along with several other Olympus OM bodies). I even have "your" lenses.

Great camera (great TTL metering)! Great system! The shutter is very "soft" (great for hand-held shots). You'll love it! :smile:

Make sure you use two Silver Oxide 1.5v batteries :smile:, not the 1.5v alkalines nor the two-in-one alkaline 3v types (the alkalines can go flat in as little as one session :sad:). The silver oxide should last for several rolls (months).

BTW, I often/usually use the 50mm, 35mm, and 28mm (I even have a 24mm lens) using "hyperfocal distance" focusing: dead easy with these manual lenses. :D

Online OM2n owner's manual here:

http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/esif/om-sif/bodygroup/manuals/om2n.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
  6. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    speaking of two-in-one batteries, I can get lithium ones for $3 i think. Will those be ok or should I stick to the silver-oxide?

7. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Excelllllent !!

8. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Great camera. I have an OM1n and OM2 as my main shooters.

Tip - check the condition of the foam you can see - light seals and mirror buffers. If it hasn't been replaced, or is at all sticky, there will also most likely be some foam under the top cover on top of the prism. As this degrades it eats off the mirror silvering. The prism then has to be replaced.

Get it CLA'd and have the foams done and it will last for years I am sure.

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John Hermanson (zuiko.com) recommends the silver oxide, and I would agree with him.

Matt

10. Bateleur

Bateleur Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I thank everyone for the wealth of commentary here. I am glad there have been many positive remarks. It sounds like the OM2n meets many (if not all) of my needs and preferences.

I already have some Energizer 3v lithium batteries. I like the ease of putting just one battery in the slot. These batteries are still in their packaging, and are left over from my Nikon FEs (which I have sold). I have heard that lithium batteries are clearly better than alkalines, and that they are the best overall. Any other views out there?

12. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Galah: your comment regarding hyperfocal distance is music to my ears. I would say that about 60% of my shots are taken in this manner. I do not know how folks do without this very useful aspect of photography. It seems to be non-existent in d------ imaging.

13. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In response to maderik's comments: will the camera fire the shutter on the "off" setting when using a standard (i.e. screw-in) cable release? I have looked over the instruction book, and it seems to indicate that in "off" mode the shutter will fire, but it reverts to "auto" settings. I wonder if it will work in this manner in "off" mode when using a release? I would perfer it to maintain my manual settings.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ulrich Drolshagen

Ulrich Drolshagen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Replacing the lightseals in the back is the easy part. More important is to replace the same stuff under the hood. That's the part you definitely don't want to do yourself unless you are an experienced mechanic.

With the camera switched to "off" it will fire and expose correctly as the exposure time is calculated realtime during exposure. Only the display of the meter is switched off. The OM2n has two metering systems. One for manual mode and for informative purposes when in automatic mode. And a second one for automatic off the field metering which gets active as soon as the shutter ist tripped.

Ulrich

16. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, Ulrich...thus, if I release the shutter with the camera set to "off," the camera will expose the film using the manual settings that are currently selected? I ask again only because the owner's manual seems to be indicating otherwise (i.e. that "auto" settings--namely, aperture priority--will be used in this case).

17. Ulrich Drolshagen

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No, it will meter and calculate the shutter speed realtime. The automatic is actice as soon as you trip the shutter. The cam is never really off

Ulrich

18. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I guess it is still a bit unclear to me. If the "auto" mode is active as soon as the shutter is tripped, then would not it use "auto" (aperture priority) settings at that moment? I would rather use the camera manually--have it capture whatever manual settings I have chosen. I use a hand-held light meter and rarely do I need a meter reading from the camera.

PS: I use a hand-held meter because, over the years and with many different cameras, I have observed how easily a camera's meter is fooled (in many cases by a stop or more). In fact, I cannot think of even a single instance in which the camera's meter had the same reading as my hand-held meter. Thus, I do not trust in-camera meters.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
  19. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a 3rd setting "manual" for manual operation that will use whatever speed/aperture you select.

20. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Incidentally, I just received an OM2n in the mail yesterday. A slight upgrade from my OM2.

Ulrich: My understanding of the off mode is that it will only use the fast shutter speeds. I'm not at home to test it right now.

-And thank you for mentioning the problem with the prism foam. I will probably have get a CLA just for that reason.

21. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks...where is this setting? I see that there is a "manual/off/auto" selector switch.

22. John Hermanson

John Hermanson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Olympus factory recommends silver oxide only. New 2Ns came with a pink sheet packed on top explaining why ONLY silver oxide batteries should be used. Meter errors (up to 2 stops) and shutter lock. The OM-2/2N circuit (virtually interchangeable) was designed (1975) around the 2 silver oxide cells (lithium 3V cell was not even developed yet). John, www.zuiko.com

23. Ulrich Drolshagen

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No, it is in auto mode by default all the time. The switch position off only switches off the second meter which displays the suggested speed by the "manual" meter. The "auto"-metering system is active as soon the shutter is triped no matter whether the position is off or auto. I hope, this is clear enough. It took me years to find out. I always wondered why all my accidentally exposed frames came out well. :smile:

Ulrich

24. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I think I need to add an OM2 (n/s/p) to my collection.

Gave away 2 OM10's to my daughter and sister and they're using them. So I'm down to only 1 OM10 and 3 OM1's !!

Never really wanted auto exposure before but the OM10 is such a great focus and shoot camera the OM2 has to be even better !!

-Bill L.

25. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    R4 ..the viewfinder bulge...eh? have you had a chance to compare Olyimpus glass with Leica glass?

Hans

26. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I have compared the cost of Olympus glass to Leica glass. I guess that makes me a 'have' in the Olympus world instead of a 'have not' in the Leica world.

It would be nice to live in the Leica world however.