Brand new shipped with battery inside???

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by bessa_L_R3a, Jan 4, 2008.

1. bessa_L_R3a

bessa_L_R3a Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi,

I just got my R3a and it ships with two LR44 batteries in a separate package but when I opened the battery compartment, I was surprised to see a uni-battery already inside. Is this normal? Was someone testing the camera or something?

2. Mearns

Mearns Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    sounds like it! I can't imaging they would shelve/store them with a battery in them as it has the ability to leak...

3. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It's normal for a store to open a box to show someone a camera or other device if they don't have a display model. I wouldn't think twice about it if the thing works perfectly and has the warranty and everything.

4. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I would approach the seller with this question, might get a courtesy discount!!..Evan Clarke

5. bessa_L_R3a

bessa_L_R3a Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It seems to work beautifully, and the battery wasn't corroded at all. Then again, I'm no expert, so maybe it's best if I call and ask about it.

Thanks.

(Note: Four years ago when I bought a new camera from B & H the "new" camera had a corroded battery inside and I exchanged it)

6. bessa_L_R3a

bessa_L_R3a Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I´ve decided to return it because after speaking with the friendly folks at a licensed distributor of Bessa's in the U.S., I am told B&H sells gray market cameras without warranty and now that I think about it, the camera didn't come with any warranty ... I stupidly assumed there was one.

7. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    B&H does sell gray market products. But usually states that to be the case in their catalog where they quote both the US and "Gray" prices.

Are you saying that they misled you?

8. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    B&H marks "grey market" items as "imported" on their website / catalogue.

9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Generally, B&H grey-market equipment may be sold without the manufacturer's warranty, but B&H still provides a warranty. That's quite a long cry from "without warranty".

10. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&H's grey market equipment is guaranteed by the store. If something goes wrong with it, they will fix it or replace it. I bought a grey market 400mm Canon lens from them several years ago that developed a problem. They replaced it promptly with a new lens that had a US warranty.

I would not hesitate for a second in buying grey from B&H.

11. bessa_L_R3a

bessa_L_R3a Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'm not saying I won't ever buy from B&H again, not at all. They're great. Maybe the other distributor misled me to get me to buy theirs, but they said they are a licensed distributor of Bessa Voigtlanders .. whatever, and aren't they all imported anyway?? Aren't they all made in Japan?

What bugged me was that the model I got from BH had obviously been opened and tested and then put back in because the plastic wrap was all crinkly and the battery was inside. When I buy new, I want fresh, mint stuff. That way, if I ever re-sell it, I'll know I was the only one who ever really handled it and can assure people they're getting a quality second hand camera.

12. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Many retailers (especially smaller ones) open boxes and let a customer look at the object inside. It's no big deal.

I can understand being concerned that you got someone's return or something, but if it's in perfect shape there's no real point in returning it. If it had been dropped or something there'd be an obvious ding.

13. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    As I understand it, you bought it from B&H thinking it was NIB and you were disappointed to find that the package was already opened and a battery inserted into the camera.

That's a legit complaint.

And, as I also understand it, B&H accepted your return and refunded your money so you could buy the camera from another dealer.

So, what was the purpose of posting this thread?

14. bessa_L_R3a

bessa_L_R3a Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    When I originally posted I still hadn't returned it, I was merely asking if it was normal to find a battery inside a "new" product. In fact, as of this writing, the original still isn't returned. I have both and am heading out now to return the first one.

15. Ralf

Ralf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You bought a camera and it had a battery in the battery compartment? Wow, that's really quite an issue. Any other serious problems with your equipment? :rolleyes:

Yeah, sorry for the sarcasm. :wink:

16. IOS

IOS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The camera that you received was a return from another customer and they will resell it to another customer ! I would never accept a camera or any other item that has been used, returned or opened by anyone unless that was expressed at the time of purchased.

Jim

17. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've had the feeling at one time or another when dealing with B&H or Adorama that the item I was getting was possibly taken out of the box or maybe a display item. Since it was not a camera I wasn't too worried, but since you probably spent $400 or so on the body, why shouldn't it be NIB and sealed? The only reason I could see for getting a item that's been opened is because it was returned. They have display items, why open a box? And if they sell the display item then their out of stock, but a discount should exist for display items just like most everybody I've ever seen does. As far as grey is concerned, I have had no problem with anything from B&H. They have stood behind any problem I might have had. Luckily your dealing with B&H and not some of the others around.

18. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is really difficult to know. This, possibly, could be the situation but...

last Christmas I bought my wife a small digicam. Knowing not much about them I went to a brick-and-mortar shop and tried them out. Each camera the guy pulled out of the case had a battery in it so I could check features, etc. When I selected a model he got a brand new box from the back of the store, opened it up, took the battery out of the package and tested the camera. Then he put the camera back into the original wrapping and reboxed it for me to purchase. He claimed that there are occasional DOA cameras so they do that with each before selling - as a way to reduce returns. I'll bet the only reason he mentioned it was because I was standing there, but on a mailorder who knows what they say, or don't say.

19. bessa_L_R3a

bessa_L_R3a Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You´re right, it doesn´t look like anyone agreed with me at all.

Oops, sorry for the sarcasm.

20. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    *LOL*

I have bought two new cameras in my entire life. A XD11 that was stolen several months later in Amsterdam, and a FM2 bought when I needed a camera fast in photo school. Forgive me for wondering what all the hubbub is about whether someone looked and fondled your camera before you received it.

Kinda like those people who buy new cars. It enables me to buy cars, just as good, three years later for 1/3 the price.

Return the camera, write out the check to someone who will guarantee you a NIB, never been touched piece of equipment, and pay twice the price.

There are two different views of the world and you are certainly entitled to yours. But understand, there are many of us who just don't get it.

tim in san jose

21. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    maybe the place you bought the camera from
    was being NICE and loaded your camera
    with a battery for you, and then gave you a spare battery ...

maybe the store inspects their products to make sure it wasn't
    damaged goods from the factory NIB ... ( maybe the factory suggests dealers do this )

john

22. bessa_L_R3a

bessa_L_R3a Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I understand the used car like new analogy and agree it's the way to go for great value, but I was prepared to pay full price, not half price. And $500 is not all that much, and peace of mind is important at least for me.

I accept it's probably a lot of psychology. Who knows? Maybe the "fresh" new camera I got instead is someone else's return, just packaged perfectly and sans battery.

23. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    When I sell a new camera that takes a battery's I usually test the camera before shipping it out just because it's cheaper than paying shipping back if it didn't work. I leave the battery in the camera. I think people are glad I do... although I've never asked.

In Canada if someone buys a new camera then returns it, it can not be resold as new, but has to become "refurbished" or used. It hasn't happened too often but when it does I usually just throw the item on ebay and move it along. These are often a great deal for the new buyer since it's often only a couple hours used but they save some money.
    -Rob

24. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Rob,

I hope you charge the original purchaser a "restocking fee" (usually a percentage amount) to re-coup the difference b/w your original mark-up margin and the reduced margin (plus eBay fees) that you pay to re-sell as refurbished.