Brisbane Get together

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Craig Griffiths, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Craig Griffiths

Craig Griffiths Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Following up on some interest as a result of Chris's post.

Is anyone interested in a get together in Brisbane. If you are drop me an email with suggested dates and locations.

At this stage late July and Early August would be a good start. Options include Southbank/City, Mt Coot-tha gardens, or perhaps Gold Coast Hinterland. If you can think of other options let me know.

Thanks

Craig Griffiths

2. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Happy to catch up for a coffee/beer anytime.
    If the plan is to do some shooting en masse, I think somewhere relatively quiet would be good. I always like Lamington NP (eg Binna Burra) for a relaxing outing, but will give some further thought to other possible options...
    Ian
    Craig, I will send you a PM/email

3. craigt

craigt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm keen to catch-up with some like minded large format nuts. We're a bit of a rare commodity in Australia, much less Queensland...and if you're on the Gold Coast, you're in my home town. Let me know if it goes ahead.

Cheers,

Craig

4. Craig Griffiths

Craig Griffiths Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    So far there are only 4 takers. Let me know the best dates etc. Heading down towards the gold Coast or hinterland is looking like the best option.

Craig, how is the Ebony going? I am hoping to take both the 8x10 and 8x20 so there will definately be a few large format cameras there.

5. Craig Griffiths

Craig Griffiths Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    It looks like the options as far as dates are concerned are 11th or 12th July and then the first weekend in August (1st and 2nd). It also seems that everyone is on the southside or Gold Coast so the Gold Coast hinterland sounds like a good spot unless someone has a different idea. Springbrook, or Binna Burra or perhaps Tamborine would be good.

Let me know your preferred date and venue and we will go from there.

6. Krzys

Krzys Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am interested in Tamborine or the Hinterland as I went to the mountains and falls above Maleny last weekend and shot some bulk rolled film, which I thought was Hp5 when it was actually Fp4, so I ruined everything. It would be good to make up for it with somewhere slightly similar.

7. jayavant

jayavant Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    i'm in toowoomba. shoot large format - 4x5 and 8x10, and krzys just pointed out this thread to me. pretty busy all through july, but august is a possibility.

8. craigt

craigt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Gidday Craig...loving it thanks mate. Going a bit crazy trying to get into some 'wetplate collodion' work....Ellie in Melbourne is fighting to legalise guncotton at the moment :smile: Is your 8x10 a Chamonix as well...I'd like one of those?! I'm still getting over that super large format monster I saw last time.

I'm going to have to miss the July 11/12 get together though. I'm in Sydney checking out an artist space for an exhibition I'm having. I'll have to catch up in August or any other time you decide to have another one.

9. Craig Griffiths

Craig Griffiths Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Looks like August to me then. Keep me updated with the Collodion it is something I want to get into. The 8x10 is a Tachihara at the moment although I will be looking for something to handle some of the big old lenses in the near future. Not sure whether a studio camera or whether to make something. I have a set of 20x24 bellows that have been tempting me of late, but unfortunately only limited (or nonexistent) woodoworking skills.

10. Craig Griffiths

Craig Griffiths Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    So any takers for the 1st or 2nd of August? Looks like the Gold coast hinterland is the most likely location wise. Mt Tamborine, Springbrook or Lamington National Park sound the best locations. I might be biased but would love to get back to Elebana Falls at Lamington, although Curtis Falls and Purlingbrook Falls would be good as well.

I would prefer an early start for a few hours of photographing then lunch at a pub somewhere sounds good to me.

Let me know if you are interested and we can confirm location and times.

11. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your proposed plan sounds good, Craig. I am free on either date. Lamington would be great, but I am pretty flex.
    Ian

12. Craig Griffiths

Craig Griffiths Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    So the 1st August at O'Reilly's for all who are interested. The options are for a bit of a walk to Elebana Falls and Picninc Rock, or over towards Python Rock. Personally I am keen to head back towards Elabana Falls, but I am happy to go with whatever people want to do. There is also the tree top walk which provides a few opportunities. There are also lots of opportunities within the rainforest itself.

As for times, my preference is for an early start, but let me know what time suits

13. Krzys

Krzys Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Arrival at 6:30am would be best, ended with lunch at the cafe. Though I would need to carpool with somebody to attend.

14. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would be keen for an early start, but 6.30 might be slightly ambitious... Too late for sunrise (if that is your bag) but still quite dark, especially in the rainforest. How about 7.30ish? Happy to do earlier if that's the consensus though.

What part of Brisbane are you in Krzys?

15. Krzys

Krzys Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am in Carindale. I did a morning meet at the waterfall above Maleny at 6:30am and it worked out perfect. We got to the falls at around 7:30 when the light was perfect.

16. Craig Griffiths

Craig Griffiths Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I agree with Chris. Meeting at 6 or 6.30 would be good to get to the falls with plenty of light on the way back for other subject matter. Lunch after sounds good too.

17. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bend to the wishes of the majority :smile:

I can swing by Carindale if you need a lift on the day Krzys

18. Krzys

Krzys Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sounds fantastic. Since we will be on the road at 4:30-5am it will probably take 30mins less to get there (usually 2 hrs) from Brisbane.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2009
  19. Krzys

Krzys Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can we organize a role call for this event? So far all I can see is myself, Craig Griffiths and iandavid attending this meet

20. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Krzys,
    It just occurred to me that maybe some potentials have been put off by the early proposed start... I remain happy to head off at sparrows, but would be equally happy to go later if that would suit others.
    Alternatively, we could perhaps arrange a rendezvous for later in the day if anyone wants to come up and meet later on.
    Ian

21. Krzys

Krzys Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    To me the sunrise meet is ideal because we will have the aid of temperature, light and the potential of fog through the hills. Though I really am happy to go at any time agreed on.

Can anyone find a map of the paths and walks in the surrounds of O'Reilly's? I wonder if I could get a tripod up the observation deck?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009