Brisbane newbie

Discussion in 'Australia' started by seaninsurrey, Jan 12, 2008.

1. seaninsurrey

seaninsurrey Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi everyone! I've just moved to Brisbane from the UK and am trying to find out if there is a local camera club. I'm relatively new to film, currently using a 35mm rangefinder but looking to buy a medium format camera soon. I develop my own negs but don't have the space to build a darkroom, so if you know of anywhere I can use that would be great! Thanks in advance, Sean.

2. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Moved from the UK to Brisbane!

Well, after you get done blinking your eyes so much - that big yellow orb in the sky is call The Sun!

Welcome to APUG from NYC.

Geez, I'd like to get back Down Under someday soon too!

3. rootberry

rootberry Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sean, you are a very lucky guy. I miss brisbane so much, I loved it there... What brings you there?

4. seaninsurrey

seaninsurrey Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Have been dating an Australian guy for a couple of years now - Brisbane is where he's from. Looking forward to being able to shoot some slow film, like the Adox CHS50 I've been storing! Not sure if you can buy it over here, will need to investigate!

5. Craig Griffiths

Craig Griffiths Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    G'day Sean,

Brisbane is a little thin on the ground as far as Darkrooms for hire etc are concerned. However there is one at West End I have heard about that may be available. I will see if I can find the details for you

As far as camera clubs are concerned there are a few, however be prepared for a strongly digital bent, the reason I am no longer involved. Try looking at the Photographic society of Qld (www.psq.org.au) for camera club details.

6. Craig Griffiths

Craig Griffiths Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Sorry Sean, The Darkroom I was thinking of has closed down. Not aware of any in Brisbane, although you might want to try BCPA (bcpa.com.au). They may be able to suggest somewhere

7. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Sean! welcome to Brisbane! get out your sun screen! I own and operate a pro Lab in Sydney australia, I have a very keen interest in getting rare and discontinued stocks into this country and offer a wide range of services which are difficult to get in this country. I know im in the next state but if theres anything I can do to help you don't hesitate to drop me a line.

All my details are below.

Steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab
    Ph: (02) 9365 6063
    Mob: 0415 677 522
    Email: Steve@thelighthousebps.com.au

8. seaninsurrey

seaninsurrey Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Chris, I had a feeling the camera clubs would be a bit too digital, but thanks for trying to help me find a darkroom. Stephen, was just admiring your work yesterday - will definitely visit next time I'm in Sydney. I was out shooting today and have just developed some rolls of Adox film. Not sure what the images will be like - I'm just chuffed that they turned out at all (I've only ever developed 3 or 4 rolls). What a great feeling when you take the top off the Paterson tank and see your negs for the first time.

9. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    former southsider says welcome

I think you will enjoy Brizzie. Being a 'morning' person helps when the kookaberra decides to announce the rising sun at 3:30am, and he is right. The other end of the day, catching the sunset sometimes almost needs a motor winder, if you are used to the hours of time the sun sets when coming from more northern latitudes.

I was living in MacGregor, and working in Upper Mount Gravatt, and then later on in Wooloongabba. The joy of learning all of the suburb names was interesting. In my native Canada it is the roads, which follow a grid pattern, that tell people where you are at - like now I am east of Erin Mills Parkway, South of Dundas Street.

If you take the Busway thank me. , I was the guy that designed and oversaw the construction of all the bus tracking elements and mechanical system oversight in the tunnels for the SouthEast and Innner Northern Busways.

10. Glenn Mathison

Glenn Mathison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to Brissie

Hi Sean,

I've recently moved back to live in Brisbane after 12 years in Sydney. Like you, I've been looking to find some film enthusiasts to go shooting with. I have found a very active Brisbane-based Canon group who are mostly digital shooters so I'm still looking. Which area of Brisbane are you in? I'm just north of Caboolture.

I've not yet had time to set up a darkroom in the new house I've bought. that will come in time. If I find a darkroom for hire I'll drop you a message.

I also have MF gear for sale. Mamiya 645 if you're interested.

11. seaninsurrey

seaninsurrey Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Glenn - thanks for your message. I'm in the Clayfield area of Brisbane, so please let me know if you find a darkroom! My Leica M2 is away for repair at the moment, so I'm just waiting on the loan of a Rolleiflex from my father. Can't wait to try a new format! What are you shooting with at the moment? Anyway, nice to hear from you and keep in touch.

Regards,

Sean

12. bpaties

bpaties Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Sean
    I am aware that there was quite an active group that used to meet at the Inala Community Art Gallery called the "In Focus Community Camera Club". I am not sure of the group's current status, but I believe that there was a fully functioning darkroom at the gallery that they used to access. The details of the club is listed at http://www.psq.org.au/pages/psq_clubs.htm and you might want to drop them a line to see if they are active or if you can get in the darkroom. I know that Inala is on the wrong side of town for you, but there might not be too many other options.

13. Coyner

Coyner Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good day,

i am also a newbie to australia from Canada, studying law on the gold coast for a couple of years...

i am looking for some medium format film, but am unable to find any at the local camera stores. Any recommendations as to where to get film, preferably in brisbane, although it seems like all photography roads lead to sydney.

14. bpaties

bpaties Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Coyner. Welcome to sunny Queensland. The best place to go by far for you would be Photocontinental at Mt Gravatt on the southside of town, just off the motorway that goes to the coast. I get most of my stuff there or at Ted's Camera House on Adelaide St in the City. Photocontinental also offer internet shopping at their wegsite.

15. Coyner

Coyner Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cheers bpaties,

Sunny QLD indeed, tho, most australians deem this to have been the 'wettest' summer in memory!, As a cold-weather-beaten-canuck,i will take this heat any day.
    i shall give Photocontinental a try this week.

16. seaninsurrey

seaninsurrey Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Coyner - welcome to Australia. I also recommend Photocontinental, they have a good selection of 120 film (I bought some there a couple of weeks ago).

17. seaninsurrey

seaninsurrey Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks very much for the info, bpaties! I'll check it out.

18. Coyner

Coyner Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cheers for the warm welcome Sean. There is definitely a large Aussie contingency on this forum,. Nice to see!