Bromoil bleach

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by kompressor, May 5, 2009.

1. kompressor

kompressor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wolud like to try the bromoil process. I have used a lot of toner-kits (sepia) That is also bleached in stage one. Can i use the same bleach for bromoil? Can i use Ferrocyanid? Im living in Norway and cant find any place to buy raw-chemicals. Any ideas of where to buy raw chemicals who actually can be shipped to Norway? And what is recomended for Bromoil bleach?

2. Marc Leest

Marc Leest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A bromoil bleach consists of Coppersulphate and Potassium bromide. Should be easily available at the pharmacy.

3. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My recipe for bromoil bleach: 70 mls of 10% copper sulphate. 70 mls of 10% pot bromide. 30 mls 1% pot dichromate. Distilled water to make I liter. Constant agitation for 8 minutes. This mixture will bleach/tan about ten 8x10 matrices.

Good luck!

Gene

4. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You're probably already aware of this, but I thought I should mention that it will take a lot more than the proper bleach mixture to produce bromoil prints. Paper that is "bromoil-friendly." Over exposure of the matrix. Stiff litho inks. Brushes. A lot of patience and practice! Etc., etc. etc. You'll also need to do a bit of research and study first.

Cheers,

Gene

5. kompressor

kompressor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes i know:smile: I will use Foma MG paper for the first tests. But i am really unsure if my local pharmacia have the bleach chemicals. Ferrocyanid i easy to buy in sepa toner kits and Farmers Reducers from Kodak. Thats why i asked if it could be used. Its of course easy to do a test an see if it works. Reason i asked is that the print is also bleached down before i put it in the sepia toner.

6. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To save you the time testing, ferri won't work as a bromoil bleach. Use the formula I posted.

Good luck!

Gene

7. Wolfgang Moersch

Wolfgang Moersch Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Trust Gene´s statement. And if you find no source for the chemicals in Norway, let me know.
    The whole process is not easy, don´t know if Foma works or not. Fomabrom might work, because it´s not strongly hardened.