Bromoil papers and ink

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Skott, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Skott

Skott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    JandC have a paper suited for Bromoils (Bromoprint). I've inked a few bromoils on it and it worked well for me.

3. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's one of the inks that I use for bromoil. I prefer supercoated papers. Many of the european bromoilists that I know and that prefer non-supercoated papers swear by Bergger Brom 240.

Cheers,

Gene

4. Skott

Skott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your answers. Gene - what is the difference between using supercoated and nonsupercoated papers? Is there any differences in handeling or in the bleach/tan baths? Do you know if Emaks K888 (my favorite paper) is ok for making bromoil prints? Do you have any recommendations for brushes for a beginner?
    Best regards, Fredrik

5. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not familar with the paper you are using? Many fiber base papers will work for bromoil. I use hog hair pastry brushes which can be trimmed to a stag foot shape with sharp scissors. Many Brit bromoilsts use inexpensive hog hair shaving brushes. Maija McDougal, President of the Bromoil Circle of Great Britain, for one. A couple of supercoated papers I use: Forte Elegance graded semi matte and Illford fiberbase MG IV matte. No difference in the bleaching chemistry or routine. A longer, warmer pre inking soak is needed by some. Gene

6. don sigl

don sigl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had considerable success with David Lewis' bromoil paper. Another beautiful paper was the Agfa MC matte surface. My experience has been to use the non supercoated papers to start. They tend to be a little easier to use and control. Also start with a a hard ink. The soft inks take a little more practice. I use David Lewis inks and brushes. They are excellent. More expensive than Gene's suggestion, but they will last a lifetime. I sugesst visiting David's site: http://www.bromoil.com/ Many of the images in my gallery were created using his materials.

7. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I see no reason for ordering supplies from this side of the pond when there are ample bromoil papers, inks, etc. available on your side of the Atlantic.

I would suggest that you contact David Francis, Secretary of the Bromoil Circle of Great Britain, for his suggestions of sources re: bromoil supplies. Tell David that I sent you!

dave@bromoils.freeserve.co.uk

By the way, Maija McDougal, President of the Bromoil Circle is the one that turned me onto pastry brushes and shaving brushes. She has a huge collection of vintage Sinclair bromoil brushes, but prefers shaving brushes and pastry brushes for bromoil inking. So do I! :>)

She uses ordinary oil based printers inks. I prefer lithographic inks from Graphic Supply and Ink Co. - You posted a pic of a can of black from this company.

Anyway - supplies are not a problem --- Good luck!!!

Gene

8. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  9. Skott

Skott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi!

Thanks for all the tips. Now I have bought some hog hair brushes. Gene, you wrote that I should trim them to a stag foot shape with sharp scissor? I am not really sure how you mean? Is there any pictures of that kind of brushes on internet? Which size of the bushes do you use?

Does anyone know if Rohrer & Klinger Flussige Lithographie Tushe is ok for bromoils?

Regards,
    Fredrik

10. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    An interesting link is: http://www.gryspeerdt.co.uk/

I can recommend the Video/DVD as an informative introduction to Bromoil; almost as good as Gene's book.

11. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  12. Skott

Skott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you for the links!

Is familiar with the ink or knows how the brushes should look like?

Regards,
    Fredrik

13. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Skott

Skott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks. I had no idea that the brushes should be so large. Which size are they in? Which sizes should I, as a beginner, buy.

Regards,
    Fredrik

16. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A shaving brush is the best to start with. Buy two, a cheap one and an expensive one; see which works best for you.

17. Skott

Skott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the tips. Should I try to form them with a scissor so the look like those Gene using? Best, Fredrik

18. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes.

An electric razor helps with the trimming, if you have one.

19. Skott

Skott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks!

I will begin with black bromoils. But if I later on tries to make bromoils with two or more colours. Does I then apply the ink as normal but with red sometimes and black sometimes, for example?

When it comes to brushes. Is hoghair brushes like these ok: http://www.gnestapenseln.se/Bilder/Penslar_stora/48.jpg

Does anyone knows if Flussige Lithographie Tusche from Rohrer & Klinger in Leipzig works for making Bromoils?

Regards,
    Fredrik

20. Skott

Skott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No one?

21. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've only just seen this post Skott, The brushes look as though they should be ok, although it is difficult to tell from a photograph.
    Practice first with the black ink untill you are very good. Then try the colour inking in, maybe ten years time.:smile:

22. Allen Friday

Allen Friday Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    On the issue of brushes, Williams-Sonoma sells a round basting brush that is hogs hair and about an inch in diameter. Cost is $10, goes on sale a couple of times a year. Trim with an electric trimmer as described in Gene's book and you're in business.

Allen

23. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kentmerre Art Document

After reading a review by Derek Watkins in SilverShotz (vol 3,ed 6) of Kentmere Art Document as bromoil paper, I've been trying to find a supplier on this side of pond. Both Freestyle & B&H no longer carry it. Is anyone aware of plans to sell it here?

24. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Kentmere has discontinued this paper. They have said that they may produce it again at a later date. We'll see?

Cheers,

Gene

25. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The supplier of the base paper is no longer producing it. Kentmere say they are looking for an alternate base, but as Gene says: we'll see...

Cheers, Bob.

26. Skott

Skott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Could I find it on Internet?

Best,
    Fredrik