Bromophen turning pink?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by hoffy, Nov 5, 2011.

1. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, Hopefully this will be a quicky. I mixed up a batch of Bromophen two and a half weeks ago. While the majority went into brimmed full PET bottles, about a litre went into a half full PET bottle, which I used a portion of two weeks ago. I have now noticed the remainder in the half full bottle has a very distinct pink hue to it. I know that Ilford claim that it will be OK for two months and I do plan to use the remainder tonight, I just want to know if this is the early signs of it starting to oxidise?

Cheers

2. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Had a batch of D76 (as I recall) that was pink on mixing - Used it as normal without any discernible ill effects.

3. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I have to admit that I am not overly concerned, more to the point I am curious in what's happening, that's all!

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You will get a slight colour change as a developer oxidises slowly but most PQ developers will work fine even when they've turned a dark straw colour.

Ian

5. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mason, "Photographic Processing Chemistry" contains a long discussion of the oxidation of Phenidone. He states that mild oxidation in an alkaline solution yields a pink colored compound.