BRONCOLOR Pulso A4 Need Schematics

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by DRIFTWOOD69, Mar 23, 2010.

1. DRIFTWOOD69

DRIFTWOOD69 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just did something realy stupid. The fan on my Pulso A4 pack stoped running so i pulled the cover off and removed the fan then i was getting a reading to see if any voltage was getting to the fan and yes there was 16vdc. I then sent an email off to Broncolor to find out the specs of the fan so i could get another. I went back to the pack to make shure it was 16vdc when the probe from my meter sliped and shorted something out. It caused a spark and triped the house safety switch. I went to turn it back on then heard a sound like a relay clunking then POP and smoke. I think i just killed it. My dad is a retired electrical engineer and looks like ive brought him out of retirement but to help him allong i need to try and get my hands on the schematics. Does anyone have the schematics or service manual on the Broncolor Pulso A4.

2. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Assuming you were under warranty, it's probably now void. But even if it isn't, wouldn't this be a good time to let Broncolor have the unit before you hurt yourself?

3. DRIFTWOOD69

DRIFTWOOD69 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The pack is 20 years old so the warranty is out and got quoted Australian $120 p/h at Broncolor. And yes should have left it alone. More like Killed myself.

4. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any strobe pack has capacitors that could be fully charged. It could discharge on you. It's a Pandora's box best left closed. Leave it to a professional.

5. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I didn't mean to come across as if I were scolding you; @mainecoonmaniac has stated the danger. You really could kill yourself.

6. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There will be most likely dual voltage doubler or trippler circuits that likely build up a positive and negative dc banks of capacitors to between 300 and 450 voltegs above and below ground potential.

I have in the past inadvertently shorted a capacitor in a modestly small shoe mounted flash powered by 4-AA's and it sounded like a rifle shot. It also burned the corner off of the screw driver I was prying in the area to try to figure out where an intermittent pcboard crack was.

So I have immense respect for my Spedotron pack. It has a design that dumps the charge though a pair of power resistiors when a control relay senses that the pack has been turned off. I still test extensively with a voltage probe when I am openning the pack up to change jumper settings.

7. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    when I worked at a camera store here in LA, the whole store received deaf ears for a day after one of the rental guys discharged a pack, and a head completely blew up.

he got glass in the face too, wasn't a nice day for him

leave it to a pro, especially Bron :wink:. They're like rolex's, swiss, and very precise. With schematics only an electrical-engineer could read :smile:.

-Dan