Bronica C will not advance past the 1st Frame

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by dkapp, May 19, 2006.

1. dkapp

dkapp Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recently purchased a Bronica C in great condition, but it seems to have some mechanical issues.

With the supplied insert, the film would advance correctly to the first frame, but it will not advance past it. I have double checked all settings, and still the same problem. Thinking it was the insert, I purchased one in EX+ condition from KEH...but no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong, how to fix it, or recommendations on who I could send it to for repair?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There may be a problem with the film advance interlock inside the camera. I'm not sure but I think it should have a rod or something that engages the insert inside you can check to see if it's active. This would be a repairshop item. Only other thing I can think of is if it has a multi exposure switch set wrong. Then after the film is wound in to first frame winding the crank will only reset the shutter and mirror.

http://medfmt.8k.com/bronbrochure.html#page12
    Online manual makes mention of doing multi exposure but does not say how it's activated.

3. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Model C does have a multi-exposure switch that is often overlooked, I did that when I got my first one and it drove me crazy until I figured it out. I is the round black switch under the 12-24 lever on the wind side of the body just above the Name and counter window, you might try it both ways, as I can't remember which position the switch needs to be in for multi or single exposure.

4. dkapp

dkapp Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies so far. I thought it was the double exposure setting as well, but that seems to be working fine.

I just called KOH camera, and was quoted $200 for the repair. They said it was something internal, and is easily fixable. It makes me wonder if it is something I could do myself w/ a $20 manual off of ebay. Does anyone have experience working with one of these oldies?

Thanks,
    Dave

5. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Frank Marshman can also do it. Is it not advancing, or is it just a counter issue? In any case, it shouldn't be too difficult, but it is a $150-200 repair if it involves disassembling the camera. Bronicas are very complicated mechanically. I wouldn't try it myself.

7. dkapp

dkapp Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for that! I'm located in CA, not far from Ken. I'll be sure and give him a call on Wednesday.

Thanks again :smile:
    Dave

8. dkapp

dkapp Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It doesn't advance. I took the lens off, and used the bulb exposure to mark the film. I was hoping it was a counter issue too. Thats something I could live without.

I'll take your advice and not fix it myself. It's a beautiful old camera, and I would love to use it vs. retire it to decoration duty.

Dave