Bronica ERTSi & GS-1 Compatability

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by patricia de roeck, Jul 24, 2012.

1. patricia de roeck

patricia de roeck Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does anyone out there know if anything about these two Bronica's is compatable..I have an ETRsi with 3 PE lenses, a Prism Finder E, plus a Beattie focusing screen, plus 3 backs. I've only just discovered the GS-1 and would love to have the 6 x 7 neg...however, I won't bother chasing one if I have to buy a completely new set of everything, just can't afford it. I've downloaded the manual for the GS-1 and it seemed to read just like the ETRSi manual..or maybe that's just wishful thinking.
    Cheers, TRisha

2. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    New everything. Well, except for any film you have in the fridge!

3. ruilourosa

ruilourosa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the camera strap may fit, and you may be compatible...

4. pityacka

pityacka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    patricia, The 2 replies just about sum it all up. Incompatible. I have the Bronica Sq-Ai, and was going to treat myself to the GS, until I realised that the GS did not have a revolving back. To me that was the only minus point for the GS. Went and bought a Mamiya 67 which has the revolving back, which means you do not have to turn the camera on its side, as you would have to with the Bronica GS.

5. andrew.roos

andrew.roos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The GS-1 is essentially a super-sized ETRS. Unfortunately eyerything is bigger - lenses, finders, backs etc. You can get a 6 x 4.5 back for the GS-1, so it could potentially replace your ETRSi, but only if you're not concerned about the extra size and weight.

6. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So is the PX-28 battery (but the GS-1 needs two, and lithium cell is not usable in the GS-1). And the PC cord to a studio flash also fits the sync outlet.

7. JonPorter

JonPorter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Aside from the 6V battery, nothing is interchangeable between the ETR and GS cameras. Even the cable releases are different. For whatever reason, Bronica never made adapters to allow users to mount lenses from the GS and SQ cameras onto the SQ and ETR cameras. I could have eliminated three lenses if I could have used my GS 100mm and 65mm lenses on my SQ-B and ETRsi.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012
  8. patricia de roeck

patricia de roeck Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the bad news everyone...well, I have the battery and the camera strap so its a start....

Cheers TRisha

9. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The GS-1 takes one battery and you can use a lithium, but it's not recommended.

10. whlogan

whlogan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know this is an old thread, but let an old man extol the virtues of the GS 1!! nO CAMERA EVER MADE CAN BEGIN TO COMPARE, Damn cap locks key did that . Not me. But I do feel strongly about the GS. Failing the rotating back, which would be nice, I admit, I have learned to live without it and I have had the RB's , too. They are lovely and the glass is superior, but not superior to Bronica glass. Once you use a GS and get used to its vagaries you will be hooked for life. They are super boxes to hold film. Get several backs. 6x6, 6x4.5, the whole kit. The 100mm lens is not to be beat. No where; no how. Check it out. Get as many lenses as you can. All of 'em is best.
    Logan