Bronica ETRSI - brighter focusing screen

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by igor.burshteyn, Jan 13, 2009.

1. igor.burshteyn

igor.burshteyn Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello -

It's my 1st post here, but probably some of you are familiar with me from RangeFinderForum.com :smile:
    I recently became happy owner of very basic ETRSI outfit. Great camera, I immediately felt at home with its ergonomics. The only thing I would like to improve is viewing image brightness - I am spoiled by OM viewfinder with 2-13 screen installed. This leads to a quest for brighter focusing screen for ETRSI (I have Bronica plain matte screen in camera). Are there brighter focusing screens - either OEM or aftermarket - available for Bronica ETRSI?

2. vdoak

vdoak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. igor.burshteyn

igor.burshteyn Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Victor, thanks.
    Pretty hefty price tag on that Beattie, actually more $$ than I payed for my Bronica outfit. Did anybody use it in Bronicas, how it's compared to stock screen? Are there more economical options out there?

4. aparat

aparat Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used to have a Bronica SQ-B with a Beattie screen. I was just lucky to buy the camera with the Beattie pre-installed. It made a considerable difference compared to the factory screen. The focus looked crisper and therefore easier to find.

5. gedra

gedra Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello:

I recently purchased a Beattie screen for my 40 yr. old Rolleiflex. It was expensive at $200, but the look through the viewfinder is amazing - certainly worth the money for me.

6. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which finder are you using? The prism costs some light.

7. igor.burshteyn

igor.burshteyn Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Nick, I use plain non-metered prism-finder. WLF would be a little brighter I guess.
    I've seen references to another bright screen maker - Bill Maxwell. I didn't succeed to find his web site for pricing/information. Is there any Maxwell screen user here who can comment on its merits?

8. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you use a metered finder, any aftermarket screen which is brighter will throw off the metering. You could compensate simply by dialing in a lower ISO than was actually loaded. That approach brings great risk if you shoot in a high intensity shooting situation with films of multiple ISOs, but is not insurmountable for a casual hobbyist rather than a working wedding pro, for example.

9. jime11

jime11 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Igor: I had Bill Maxwell process one of my screens with his "Hi Lux" process a couple of years ago. It really improved the focusing on my 45-90 lens and even made possible focusing the 125-250 indoors. The cost was about $100 & for me it was a better option than replacing the screen. He said at the time he had a couple of ETRsi screens available for purchase. I don't have his phone# but do a search on photo.net.

10. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  11. igor.burshteyn

igor.burshteyn Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks, I am going to contact Maxwell for pricing information.

12. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Beattie I installed is a big improvement over
    the stock screen. Another big improvement I made
    is Bronica's Rotary Finder. My AEIII prism finder now
    sits in in a drawer; a pain in the neck with the camera
    low on the tripod. Dan

13. SpunkySpine

SpunkySpine Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was able to find a NEW never used Beattie for my ETRSi on fleabay. It brightens the view by 2 to 3 fstops. Landed it for $60.00 + 6.00 shipping.
    Simply at the right place at the right time.

Keep an eye for KEH.com They sometimes will have a brightscreen for reasonable price. Their minimum shipping to Canada ($56.00) is too high for my blood though. If you're in the US, expect way better shipping prices.

Good luck.