Bronica Film Back Issue - HELP QUICK!!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by cherryrig, Nov 7, 2008.

1. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought a 120J back the other week and put some film in it just now

It was on S then wound the crack on the body to 1 as normal, but I just took about four photos and it's still on 1!!!!

No the mutiple lever is not down so what can it be?? Why has it just stuck on 1 and not advanced?

Can this be fixed or what is wrong as basically I have a 120J that I have no idea how many photos I've taken or left so I'm basically wasting a roll of film as it's sort of half working :sad::sad:

Please help

Cheers

2. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Anyone before I start shoot more photos

:sad:

3. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I don't own a J back; but does it have a lift up winding thingie like the 120/220 backs? Is said thingie rotating when the crank winds? If I'm understanding you, it sounds as though the shutter cocks and you can fire the shutter -- mayhaps it's just the counter acting up. If the thingie is turning it would imply the film is feeding.

In my 120 back, the anomaly was having the film wind all the way through without stopping and the counter never left "S." Under such conditions, the shutter could not be fired, as the body had no indication a film frame was queued up. That was a stuffed back.

Good luck!

DaveT

4. evilhomer78

evilhomer78 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Its hard to say what the root cause of the back problem. Is the film actually advancing or is it acting like the multi exposure is on? After shooting 16 shots (I think that's the #per 120 roll), does the counter reset to S and the film advanced all the way to the take up spool? Either way the internal gears most likely need to be lubed, or a spring may have to be replaced. It may be cheaper or just as cheap to purchase another back. The 120J backs are fairly cheep at keh. (Cheaper than the plain 120 backs.)

Also do you have a spare back you can try? If so does it behave the same way?

--Chris

5. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The film advanced all the way to the take up spool but the counter was still on 1.

Anyone know how to get to the internal gears to check to see if something is wrong as it would save me having to buy another 120J.

The back works fine (I think but I don't know as I kept opening the back to see what was going on, which meant ending up with no photos really :sad: )

Cheers

6. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not just shoot a roll and see if it is just the counter?

Mike

8. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just have, which was why I was asking if there was anyway to fix it

9. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For some reason now my camera always has the mutiple exposure curtains on the mirror when it flips up??? What is going on??? This is even when the lever is not down??

What is going on with my camera. It fires fine but now that is was up on the mirror even if the lever is not?

HELP!!!

10. Shangheye

Shangheye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The back: First check as suggested if the film is winding on by checking if the windon spool is turning. If yes, and still reading 1 then the counter is not working. If it is not turning, and as you say the multi-exposure switch is not on, then the back is broken. Also possible the film is torn and so no wind on....though even in that case the wind on spool should turn.

The camera; What you describe is strange if as you say you don't have the ME switch turned or mirror lock up or something else. Have you got a fresh set of batteries in? In my experience turning things off...removing the batteries, new batteries and start again can help. If you use the camera regularly and are familiar with how it works, then this could be a genuine fault that needs repair. Have you tried using it with a different back...K

11. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nope nothing. No ME no mirror lock up. Nothing. Would a fresh set of batteries do it as I thought it might be something to do with the camera??

This isn't even with a back on this has just happened :sad:

I really am starting to give up with this all now as it's just a joke!!!

12. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Anyone?

13. evilhomer78

evilhomer78 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    cherryrig,
    Which camera body do you have? I'm not familiar with a Bronica body that displays ME curtains in the view finder. The batteries only affect the shutter speed on all SQ bodies except for the SQAM. Therefore replacing the batteries may not make any difference.

With the back off not mounted, look at the back of the body, there is a gear for advancing the film. Flip the Multi exposure switch on and off. Does the gear move in and out? If so then the body is functioning properly. If it is working properly, with the back still off, wind the crank. Does the gear move?

14. Gerry M

Gerry M Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    cherryrig,
    If you need to get into the back counter/gearing assembly: On the film back, remove the winder crank assy (mine has the folding crank/knob.). If I remember correctly, the attaching screw may have been left hand thread. With a hair dryer/heatgun, carefully warm the leatherette covering and peel it off. That will expose the screws that hold the gear cover on. Remove the cover and the gear trains will be accessible. Now you can operate the mechanism for the counter. If you dry fire it a number of times, the sequence should become recognizable. I did disassemble mine and was able to reassemble it. Be very careful as there are a number of small springs and keepers. Hope this can be of some help. Good luck,
    Gerry

15. cherryrig

cherryrig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yea that works fine but it's still having those little tabs on the mirror to tell you that ME mode is set, but it's not :sad: