Bronica GS1

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by FM2N, Dec 2, 2008.

1. FM2N

FM2N Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello All,
    Thinking of purchasing one of these and would love to hear any pros or cons.
    Thanks

2. mgonzale

mgonzale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've had one for a few years and I enjoy it. Without knowing what camera you are used to using, I'll say that it isn't so large that it has to always be on a tripod but it's a big step up from most 35mm bodies. I sometimes carry it handheld for casual shooting. The two lenses I have are the 100mm and 50mm and have been satisfying. I frequently use the mirror lockup feature and it is easy to use. Maybe one big feature you care about that I haven't dabbled in is the metered prism. Overall, I'd recommend the GS1.

3. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I absolutely love the one I have. The viewfinder snaps into focus, the lenses are really sharp (I have the 100mm and the 65mm) and with the speedwinder, it handles nicely. Plus, there's nothing like a Velvia 50 chrome in 6x7cm. The big downside for me is that there are no fast lenses and it's a dead system. Other than that, I love it to bits.

4. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One thing you may notice is that the market for GS1 accessories is a lot smaller than the other Bronica formats/models, and hence, things can be a little harder to find and a little more expensive. That being said, it is a very sturdy camera and handles quite nicely. I have stripped the speed winder off mine and would like to switch the prism for a wlf sometime soon. (now, if I only had an enlarger that went above 6X6... shoulda thought of that before I bought the GS1 :rolleyes: )

Cheers,

5. whlogan

whlogan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nothing but positive from me.... great lenses, backs and service from KEH..... camera is a horse.... heavy but a worker.....weathered through a trip to Maine in 2006 and did superior work....

6. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me too - I love mine. It's a joy to use and the images are wonderful!
    Nothing beats the 6x7 size and it weighs a while lot less than the equally resilient RB.
    -Nanette

7. FM2N

FM2N Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks. I have a line on one with 2 lenses and 3 backs, 645, 6x6, and 6x7 and a prism finder for under $500. I think I will bite.