Bronica SQ-A / EC-TL

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by James Cuda, Apr 5, 2009.

1. James Cuda

James Cuda Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi guys,

Im looking for some help from MF experts such as yourselves. Im looking at a Bronica SQ-A or EC-TL on eBay. One question I have - that I cannot find anywhere is in regards to the Depth of Field.

When focussing using the WLF, does either the SQ-A or EC-TL viewfinder show depth of field? As in, does the view finder show the background blurry, when focussed on something close? example:

[​IMG]

I read that there is a depth of field preview button on the lens of the SQ-A? Does ths mean by default you cannot see depth of field through the view finder, with these two models?

Apologies if this is a basic / nub question. Im new to MF equipment!

2. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've not used the Bronica but if it has a depth of field preview button then its focusing with the aperture wide open. In that case what you see is minimal depth of field but with a bright viewfinder which helps focusing and composition. If you then want to see the actual depth of field you first set the aperture your going to use, then press the depth of field button. At that point the lens will stop down to the selected aperture and you will see the actual depth of field in the view finder.
    This is generally considered the better system as you have both a bright viewfinder, and the ability to view depth of field when you want.

3. bazz8

bazz8 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The ps lenses on my sq-a all have a silver stop down butten for DOF prieview works very simply and soes not hinder shooting at all
    regarsa bazz8:smile:

4. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Methinks the silver button on PS lenses is a lock out on the time exposure slide. (Actually, I'm fairly confident, I own four.) There is a rectangular black plastic slide above that button on the side of the lens that closes down to the set aperture for DOF preview. This same situation exists for most 35 mm SLRs also, the lenses open to maximum aperture for focus and only stop down when the shutter is fired.

DaveT

5. James Cuda

James Cuda Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys - really appreciate the insight.

So essentially, you will see DOF in the view finder - but it will be DOF based on maximum aperture? Then when you fire the shutter, it will stop to the actual set aperture?

6. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You got it James

7. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    James,
    The DOF you see when you are not using that black plastic slide switch is the DOF of the wide open lens. When you use the slide switch, you are seeing the DOF of the selected aperture indicated on the aperture selection ring.

8. James Cuda

James Cuda Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Got it.

Thanks once again guys!

9. Canon Eye

Canon Eye Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    James: I've used the Bronica EC for many years and also own an EC-TL that I seldom use. No particular reason why I choose the EC, probably out of habit and love. The above explainations are entirely correct for the DOF using the EC-TL but, too, the DOF caliberation around most lenses works very well. There is also an easy mathmatical formula for calculating DOB that I used for weddings (retired now) to ensure the best sharpness and each F stop. The funny thing is that when set to the formula, the ground glass looks out of focus...but is isn't; just shoot it and everything in the calculated distance will be in "acceptable" and best focus for that F stop.

10. cruellas

cruellas Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello how to get the BACK FILM of my BRONICA EC-tl

11. karl

karl Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Insert the dark slide all the way into the back, then push a little more. That releases the back.

12. Canon Eye

Canon Eye Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cruellas: Not sure what you are saying in you post....if you wanting to know how to get the back off the EC-TL, you insert the dark slide into the dark slide slot and when it is completely inserted, the back will pull off at the top first and unhinge from the bottom.