Bronica SQ-A vignetting on long exposure?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by zenza, Aug 15, 2009.

1. zenza

zenza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I shot this long exposure(either 2 or 4 seconds) at about 4:30 in the morning as the sun was rising. I didn't realize until I had scanned and edited the photo that it had some vignetting on it. Is this normal? I was using a Bronica SQ-A w/ Bronica PS 110mm macro...any insight on this? I'm not too worried as vignetting can be fixed in photoshop, just curious.

-Will

2. Krzys

Krzys Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What aperture were you using?

3. Nikanon

Nikanon Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    On a perpendicular lens axis to film plane camera such as an SLR? No not really, not as far as i know. Im pretty sure its not like large format where when tilting, shifting or stopping down you have so many factors to worry about, its usually pretty straight forward and vignetting would be factored into the manufacturing. I would edit a photo that was made on film, kinda going against what film stands for, but thats just my opinion, were you using a filter though?

4. pnance

pnance Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Don't all lens vignette to some degree at maximum aperture?

Paul

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are two kinds of vignetting. Which are you experiencing?

Mechanical vignetting - where the corners of the image are physically cut off, e.g. by too thick a filter or by the lens hood

Optical vignetting - aka light falloff - the natural tendency of lenses to have reduced illumination at the edges of the frame, especially at wide apertures and with wider angle lenses.