Bronica SQ-A

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by springnar, Apr 26, 2013.

1. springnar

springnar Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just purchased a bronica sq-a and put a new battery in. Checking the battery the red light flashes but when I try to change the shutter speed the shutter speed is still 1/500th. I tried cleaning the electrical contacts with an air can are there any other ways to fix this problem? And when I press the shutter is the red light suppose to flash?

2. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    You can download the manual at butkus.org

Jon

3. GimliXJ

GimliXJ Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The red light is a battery indicator. If it is lit, the batteries are good. Try changing lenses. If the shutter on the different lens works correctly then the lens is the problem. If there is no change, the problem will be in the camera body. Most likely with the electrical contacts on the shutter speed selector.

Best of luck.

P.S. Definately download the manual, if you haven't already, as Jon suggested. There are a lot of buttons and switches on these cameras that don't have much for labels describing their function.

4. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    From the now extinct Bronica website via the Wayback Machine:

I have had trouble with Lithium batteries in both my Bronica and Mamiya cameras.

5. springnar

springnar Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks guys! I mixed up the fact that when you press the shutter, you hear the mirrors and the shutter is completely something else! it works fine! my mistake.

6. pasiasty

pasiasty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You will soon start recognising the weak click of closing shutter.

7. ZenziFriend

ZenziFriend Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When i got my first sqa this year i had the same "problem" . You are used to SLR with return mirror so you think it must be loud at the end...

8. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I bought a SQ-B about 8 years ago: my first medium format experience.
    It's the same as the SQ-A except for the electronics. The SQ-B was the cheaper body, all manual and no light meter build in. So I got me a hand held light meter instead.
    It is a wonderful camera and the Bronica lenses are also great!! I know Hasselblad has the name, but to me Bronica is as good and a lot cheaper. Something like a Rolls Royce compared to a Mercedes Benz? There are a lot of lenses out there in good condition for not too much money.

I can remember seeing an image appear for the first time on the screen in the camera. It seemed like magic and I was sold. I like making a composition even better this way than using a 35 mm SLR camera. It gives me more grip on what the results will be like (do I make any sense??). I also like the square format (6x6 cm). And when I really need landscape format, I use my Bronica RF-645 (6x4.5 cm). This is a rangefinder camera that I take with me if I want to travel light and need to "point and shoot". The same great glass here.

Is is good to have some extra film backs. This way you can load different film types and use these (by switching backs) at the same moment, instead of to have to finish one film roll first. I even got me an old film back for 35 mm film. Makes beautiful panoramas, although winding the film is sometimes a problem with this back.

My greatest problem is forgetting to pull out the dark slide and wonder for a second why the shutter won't fire, or forgetting to put the slide back in and wonder why the film back won't come off from the camera. Good thinking & designing of Bronica!

So, enjoy, have fun and show us your first results please.

9. springnar

springnar Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just ordered some Ektar! hopefully it'll get here this week and I'll be able to shoot with it. I'm excited