Bronica SQ-AI

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by JammyB, Aug 19, 2014.

1. JammyB

JammyB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've made a couple of posts about this already. I'm looking for an SQ-AI to use for outdoor landscape etc.
    I've found one for sale and there's a few photos of it. one shows the back of the body where the film back attaches.
    The area around where the two tags on the film back slot into the body are quite worn. I'm wondering if this is a worrying thing or just normal wear and the seller been honest about the condition.
    any thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    Outwardly the rest of the camera looks clean and well looked after.
    [​IMG]

2. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks like normal wear and tear. They can get banged about a bit there but it should be ok. Its only where the film back hooks on.

3. mweintraub

mweintraub Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When you say "worn", do you mean scratches around the holes? If so, then that's normal when the user isn't being precise when they put the backs on. If the whole is larger and misshaped, that's a different issue.

Edit: now I see the photos. Hm. That seems excessive.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  4. JackRosa

JackRosa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The slots in the back show quite a bit of wear. I wonder how well previous owners treated the camera! My 2 cents . . . look for another camera. My Bronica SQ has seen many years of use and the slots in the back are nowhere near as worn as the ones in your pics. In my opinion, it is about ghw previous owners treated the equipment.

5. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd say compared with my SQ-A it appears to have been heavily used, but then, these cameras are likely 20 or more years old. Those spots where the back hooks in are definitely where the wear shows as people working in a hurry miss the holes switching backs. That in itself is no big deal. Presumably if you buy there is some warranty or return privileges if there are other problems?

6. JammyB

JammyB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies.
    The other thing that I was wondering about is the orange ring on the lens. The others I've seen have been all black. Does the orange band mean anythin to anyone? it's listed as the 80mm f2.8 s (as apposed I assume to the later PS lenses)

7. mweintraub

mweintraub Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If my memory holds, that means it's an S lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes that's an S lens. Optically, especially at the 80mm focal length, from what I've read I don't think there's noticeable difference. I only have PS series myself, but I'm vaguely remembering the S does NOT have 1/2 stop aperture detents, whereas the PS does. And of course, PS lenses will be at least a little bit newer (but could still go back to the 1980s).

9. skysh4rk

skysh4rk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can still shoot at half stop apertures with S lenses, it's just that there aren't any detents to mark these when you turn the ring, which really isn't a big deal.

I have three PS lenses (80mm, 135mm, and 180mm) and one S lens (105mm) and I've never complained about the performance of any of them. In fact, I think my 105mm S lens is my favourite of them all.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  10. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks fairly normal for that camera. I would also suggest picking up a used SQ-B from KEH.com. It's essentially the same camera but can be found in newer condition at a good price.

One other tip: make a "ring" out of some 2" wide black elastic band, clip the ends together with a safety pin and slip it around the back. It will help prevent light leaks which are fairly common with these backs, especially in bright light.

11. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's correct on the half stop detents which are nice but not a deal breaker. The coating was changed a bit, too. I have both S and PS lenses and have never noticed any difference between them.

12. JammyB

JammyB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well I've ordered it. It was an ebay purchase so fingers crossed. I got it with delivery for less than 200 GBP so not the end of the world if its not perfect.
    Should be with me on Saturday I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

13. johnha

johnha Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sounds good to me. You might want to check the lens shutter before running film through it. Take the back off, set it to Multi-exposure, look through the back and shoot - checking for snappy opening/closing.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. JammyB

JammyB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It arrived this morning and I had a quick play with it. It's clearly been used but it all seems to function as it should. It's not pitted or anything but it could do with a good clean. Hopfully I'll get chance to stick a roll through it over the weekend.

16. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I hope you enjoy it. I have a SQ-A and a SQ-Am and I love them. They are simple and robust, and capable of producing great images. Let us know how you get on.
    Alex

17. mweintraub

mweintraub Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have the same models and I really enjoy them too.

18. JammyB

JammyB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I ran a test roll through it last night and It turns out you can load the film backwards and shoot a whole roll that way. Well now that test's done I'm going to try it with the film loaded the right way.

19. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wasted a whole 120 roll of Delta 400 on Saturday. Not in a Bronica, but very annoying. You'll love your SQ-Ai once you see the results.
    Alex

20. JammyB

JammyB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm just glad it was a cheapish foma roll and it was just a load of test shots and not anything important.

21. skysh4rk

skysh4rk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Always a good idea to test out any new equipment as you've just experienced. A few peculiarities or issues will almost certainly pop up early on.

If you're in the UK, I find Ffordes to be a good source of Bronica equipment.

The SQ series is great; one of the best values in photography on a price/performance basis.

Almost all of my photography is with an SQ-A, supplemented by a few photos here and there with my SQ-B and Minolta Autocord.

22. mweintraub

mweintraub Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey, at least you that out of the way early! :smile:

I bought a camera from a friend who loaded the backs before he sold them to me. I didn't realize until I was taking the film off that the film was loaded the wrong way. I've also done it myself. I now make a mental "weeeee" sound when I pull the film from the source roll around the back. Hey, it works.

23. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have four SQ-As and an SQ-AM. My SQ lenses: 50 S, 50 PS, 80 S, 80 PS, 105S, 150 S, 150 PS and 250 S. I also have a 2X. The S and PS lenses are both good. The 105 was only made in S form. My next SQ lens will be either a 40 or a macro. If you like the square format the SQ cameras and lenses are very capable. The Speed Grips and prism finders are handy and the waist level finder makes a body wit an 80 and a back light enough to carry for a while. I still do not have a metered prism finder so I rely on hand held meters.

24. JammyB

JammyB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I developed a test roll (loaded correctly this time) I haven't had chance to scan them yet but they look good.
    I dropped into AG today and picked up a box of ACROS 100 which I'm excited about trying. I really like some of the examples I've seen.

25. JammyB

JammyB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Scanned the negs this evening and all seems well.
    Just some quick and not brilliantly metered snaps from around the house and garden.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]#
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    These look good. I like the last one. Simple and effective. I bought the extension tubes which can be quite useful. The 150mm is also a good lens and really inexpensive. You can build a useful system without too much expense.
    Alex