Bronica SQ WLFinder Woes...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by TSSPro, Mar 11, 2011.

1. TSSPro

TSSPro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like always- I pushed the magnifier down to return it to its normal position inside the Waist Level Finder so that I could recompose my image after critical focusing...
    I couldnt hear the sound it made (head phones were blaring some punk rock provided by the band McLusky) but I could feel a grind and a pop just before all the tension was gone from the magnifier and gravity returned it to its down position-

I looked for any kinds of pieces or part, shards, chips, or flakes...and found none. I took off the finder and inspected it thoroughly and couldnt come up with a way to return my finder to its previous working order.

Do any of y'all have experience or advice on this situation?
    Should I just bite the bullet and get a new finder?

Stinks that I can only use a prism finder now- but thankful its at least an option...

2. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sounds like you might have broken the spring - Just had a look at my WLF and there isn't really anything much else to break or jam.

3. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To properly employ a WLF you need to be listening to World Inferno Friendship Society, or at the very least Queens of the Sone Age.

4. TSSPro

TSSPro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps my Japanese camera was trying comment on my listening to Welsh rock music....damn those finicky camera...damn them...

5. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Call up Jimmy Koh, and describe what happened. He can send you a new part, or quite possibly fix it cheaper than the cost of a new finder.

www.kohscamera.com

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As you're poking around the insides of the finder, there should be a small spring that pushes the magnifier "up".
    Open the finder as if you were using it and take a look. It's possible that the spring isn't broken but has slipped off the surface it is supposed to push on.
    If that's the case it's just repositioning the spring.
    Don't laugh but I use a loop of dental floss and creative language to do these things.