Brooks tank?? My Hewes won't fit!!

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Katie, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I aquired an old Brooks tank and while spooling up several rolls of 120 film decided to use this tank (since I was doing all the same film and had used my other two double tanks). In the dark, I spool my last roll and try to stick the Hewes reel into the Brooks tank AND IT WOULDNT FIT. So, lucky for me, I am a darkroom hoarder who happens to be quite organized, and I quickly remember where I stashed the black plastic bags my last paper came out of. I double bag the roll (in the dark, of course) and stash it in a drawer. A little annoyed.

I switched it to a tank that would fit it (a la changing bag style inside the plastic bag for darkroom paper AND in the dark) and the roll came out fine (no thanks to Brooks).

SO - this tank has a ridged lip, like for a screw on lid - do they only accept Brooks sized reels or what?

2. Ottrdaemmerung

Ottrdaemmerung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not familiar with Brooks. From the sound of it, is it a plastic tank? Generally most plastic reels will fit plastic tanks, and steel reels will fit steel tanks, but not vice-versa.

3. Guillaume Zuili

Guillaume Zuili Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No they are steel. I have some and my hewes in 120 or 135 fit in. No problem.
    Weird.