Brownie Camera red sight glass busted

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by chabat, Mar 11, 2014.

1. chabat

chabat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi I have a Brownie camera that the red sight glass is broken out. Is there some type of red translucent plastic or film that I can cover the hole with, so I can see the numbering on the film? Also I have an Agfa Clack with the same problem.

Advice?

2. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Try an art shop as they may have something that can do the job, or cover the window with black electrical tape and just peel back when you wind on.

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    automotive tail-light lens repair tape, some rosco film, or maybe just some black tape that you peel up to look at the numbers then stick back down.
    That it's red doesn't do anything for you if you're shooting pan film. And, at least for Kodak and Ilford films, the backing paper will protect the film.

4. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Bit of broken auto red tail light plastic and nail file to fit.

Super glue it in.

Don't leave the camera on a coffee table in the sun. The backing paper is pretty good with slow film.

5. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try to locate an art supply store that sells small individual sheets of Rubylith masking film. Cut out small pieces and stack as many as you can over the opening while still being able to read the frame numbers.

Note also that on my Brownies I still cover the red window with a piece of black opaque photographer's tape between frame winds, just to be safe.

This stuff is very inexpensive. If you can't easily locate any, send me a private message (PM) with a safe postal address and I'll send you a small sheet.

[Edit: Oh, and welcome to APUG...]

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
  6. chabat

chabat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies. I will see what I can find. :smile:

7. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    me too

I was also going to suggest Rubylith. I remember it from the late 1950s. Printers used it. My first camera was a Brownie Reflex and I have a "new" copy of that model that I need to take out for a spin one of these days. It took better photos than many people might assume.

8. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    #25 red filter gel is close to the original shade, cut up a scratched filter gel. Flash/studio lighting color filter material can be used also.

9. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A printmaking shop should have Rubylith. Which Brownie do you have with the missing red window? Bill Barber

10. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm a 35 year offset printer. I remember amberlith and rubylith well. It was a staple. I'd be very surprised if you could find any any more.

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got mine at Dick Blick as well. I seem to remember they were the only ones I could find selling sheets instead of rolls. A couple large sheets are probably a lifetime safelight filtering supply for me.

That's why I offered to just send the OP a small piece. Brownie red dot windows are awfully small to be cutting from a 20"x24" sheet...

Ken

14. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps if we knew for which brownie the window was needed or the approximate measurement for the window, there might be some other suggestions. I have a brownie or two that might be able to be donors with a little more information.

15. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. BlueWind

BlueWind Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Get a slide film, shoot a couple of frames aiming at a uniform red surface (chose the apropriate tonality of red), and enjoy the rest of the roll aiming at your favourite subjects. The red slides can be cut as you want to replace the red-window.
    Regards
    Joao

17. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a number of these sitting here. If I have the size you need I'll send you one. No charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD