Buckle your seatbelts... looks like another bumpy ride for 220

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Ira Rush, May 13, 2010.

1. Ira Rush

Ira Rush Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    First, if this topic has been discussed already, I am sorry for the duplication. I did attempt a search on this forum, but did not find any reference to this topic.

Second, my contact at Kodak is reliable, so I don't think this is "rumor or speculation doom & gloom".

I have been asking numerous large photographic supply shops (both "brick and mortar" as well as "web" based) about the availability of 220 slide film.

What I have found is this, only a very few, even have 100VS in 220.

I know that 100GX was discontinued, but is 100G and/or 100VS (in 220) likewise discontinued?

NO ONE, and I mean no one, seems to have it!

The Kodak website still list both VS and G as available in 220.

To help answer this question, I e-mailed my contact at Kodak and asked in part... Is 220 discontinued, or are they such "slow" movers, no stores want to carry them?

The response from Kodak was in part as follows:

"I'm sorry to say that, due to the lack of demand for color reversal in 220, we no longer offer any. We continue to offer the E100G and E100VS in 120, as well as 135-36 and sheets through most dealers of Kodak Professional products.

Please let me know if you have future questions on these or other of our Kodak Professional products."

Once again, gee, no wonder 220 backs are going for pennies... Buckle your seatbelts... looks like another bumpy ride for 220

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have tought about getting a 220 back for my RB67. But the way it looks there is much use for it.:sad:

Jeff

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  4. TSSPro

TSSPro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I enjoy 220 and am glad that BH stocks it. Also glad the backs are goin for pennies. My SQ backs pull double duty since I run both 120 and 220 through them.

5. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use it or lose it.

6. guyjr

guyjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Doesn't surprise me in the least. Every product discontinuation this year has included the loss of a 220 product. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that both Fuji and Kodak have completely ceased production of all 220 films, and that what is currently available in the stores is the remaining stock.

Saddens me, yes, but that's the way the market goes. I recently picked up a 220 back for my Hassy and RZ67, and both have gotten good usage the last 6 months or so. I'll keep using it til it's no more.

7. jglass

jglass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use it or lose it: agreed.

Can I ask you guys what you do with your 2 1/4 slides? Project or just scan? Do you print?

8. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    would be nice if Ilford or other smaller film manufacturer could offer films in 220. Alas, the machinery isnt cheap, and I would assume they dont come up for sale used too often :smile:

I'm not much of an MF shooter right now (I only have a holga, and it doesnt get much use), but I'd like to pick up a Mamiya or Hassy soon, and 220 film would be twice as convenient. Looks like MF shooters are just going to have to learn to load film really quick (including me when I finally can afford a mf camera :smile: )

9. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just saw a car commercial for a local auto dealership advertising "Certified Pre-owned" Lexus' as I was typing my previous post. for some reason, I thought it would be quite funny to see an advertisment for Certified Pre-owned film manufacturing machines.

Well, I fear I might be angering 220 shooters with my bouts of stupidity, so I'm gonna be quiet and get out and run errands :D

10. Ira Rush

Ira Rush Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Yes... but when you filter out the choices, there are only 8 "slide films", 2 of them are Kodak -100VS, the remaining 6 are Fuji.
    ... also, was at B&H just a few days ago, and they likewise told me its been discontinued. Seems just because it's listed on the web page, doesn't mean they actually have it in stock.

I have found 100VS in 220 (limited), but I also use 100G (softer), GX is gone almost a year now, now G and VS too...I am (was) a Kodak guy, may now have to switch to Fuji

... While I realize what you are saying in general, to perhaps others, I like many 220 users... well we do use it, but we are still losing it.

Just like previous threads re: TXP320, how much can you really buy at once.

11. Ira Rush

Ira Rush Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As for me, I get nice prints from a really great custom lab, may consider getting a scanner.

12. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used to use 220 film. And my favourite film is still available in 220 today, so i would again.
    But i do not so much anymore since i have to pay not twice, but three times as much as for the same emulsion in 120 at my suppliers. Used to be, long time ago, that a roll of 220 was even cheaper than two rolls of 120. It wouldn't surpirse me that the increased price of 220 where i get it from is due to it being a slow mover in the market.
    I like the convenience of fewer rolls for trips, but not that much.

13. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the thing I like about 220 vs 120 now though is this:

developing price per roll. Most labs will process 120 and 220, but 220 is generally only 50% more price-wise. This is great when you are shooting for clients(like most of the people I assist for, those who are still shooting film), because it allows more shots to be taken, with a smaller budget for processing/scanning.

220 is great too if you like to shoot your MF camera like a machine gun :wink:. I do sometimes, and a 220 rolls can sometimes only last a minute or so :D!!!

but the real answer is this: IF WE WANT 220, WE NEED TO SHOW THAT WE WANT IT(I.E. BUY IT!!!!) kodak and fuji will need to make more if we buy and shoot as much as possible.

-Dan

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ira Rush

Ira Rush Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Dan,

You speak my language :wink:

The lab that I use... 220 vs 120 is actually less than 50% more per roll for processing, that means more shots/less time in changing magazines... better budget control... cash wise and time wise.

I too, use my ELX in "A" mode. Nothing and I repeat, nothing is more annoying than changing magazines 4x a minute (with an A12 mag), Nothing and I repeat nothing is more likely to kill the mood of a good spontaneous shoot, than annoucing to one and all, "Excuse me, while I change magazines... I'm out of film" :D

16. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find that, barring fashion, MF for me is a more contempative meduim. When doing portraits I find that 12 shots is a good run for me before an adjustment in hair, outfit or makeup.

I am hard pressed to put a roll of 220 though my camera in a day of wandering around at my own pace shooting.

I do travel with an XA and a 35mm rangefinder or slr in the same bag as the mamiya 330f I lug on these sort of days.

I should I suppose shoot it faster, since I have a stash of about 40 220's and 300 120 rolls in the freezer at the moment.

17. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    According to the latest list I have from Kodak and my contact at Fuji, I'm pretty certain there are only two 220 films left in production - Portra 160NC and 400NC.

Matt

18. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt,

Within the last few years I have vague recollections of the Fuji colour neg and transparency films being advertised in 220. A format I hasten to add that I've not used, but would if available for black & white stocks. Especially 400 speed film in sub-optimal weather conditions.

Tom

19. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Provia 100F and Astia 100F are available in 220 in the U.S. They may not be distributed in other locations.

20. marylandphoto

marylandphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is E200 gone?

21. bwfans

bwfans Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    120:220 film sales ratio, is around 100:5. Or even 200:5, according to my limited knowledge.

22. Ira Rush

Ira Rush Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am 99.99% positive, E200 in 120 was discontinued back in the summer of 2009.

As for 220, wow, I can't even remember when I last saw that!

23. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a nasty feeling that any Fuji 220 is just residual stock - Fujifilm UK tell me Japan "will not make any amount"

24. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    guess it might be time to stock up on astia in 220 then.

stupid empty wallet!

-Dan

25. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What a shame that more people do not use this wonderful format.

Is that kinda the same thing as 20:1 or 40:1? :wink:

26. marylandphoto

marylandphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My favorite film for shooting wildlife... :sad: