budget ISO100 color neg films - kodak 100 vs fuji 200

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by ampguy, Jun 25, 2006.

1. ampguy

ampguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I need some budget low speed color neg. film and where I live, the Fuji 200 actually costs less than the Kodak/China 100 film in the local marts (target, longs, walgreens).

Basically Fuji 200 is about $6 or so in 4 packs (can be less with coupons), and the Kodak 100 is about $8 per 4 pack.

Since color film has quite a bit of latitude, I'm wondering if I can just overexpose the 200 a step, and use the cheaper Fuji 200, unless there are benefits with the kodak 100, like say much reduced grain, or ability to overexpose it (set at ISO50...) ??

I should add that I don't do my own processing, I have the drugstores develop and put on photoCD's, I'll then print 4x6's either at home, or at the store as needed, but keep the negatives for high-res scanning, someday...

Any thoughts?

2. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    * Double Post.

3. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you get Fuji Reala 100 cheap? or Maybe even Superia 100.

I've always found Fuji X-tra to be real nice for cheap film.

4. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot Fuji ISO 200 all the time, shoot it straight up and I think you will be happy with the results, no need to over or under expose it, 1 stop is not really going to make much difference in the final product with the lattitude the print films has now adays.

R.

5. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Start doing your own processing! get hp5 for 6$ cnd a roll and dev for a dollar

6. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    HP5 is B&W Marko, the question was about color film, which believe it or not many of use still shoot.

R.

7. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know, im not bashing color, i use velvia 100. he might like b&w and the ease of developing at home

8. ampguy

ampguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks

Those are my inititial thoughts, just wanted to check here.

BTW -- I have done B&W and slides in the past ('70s on), but don't have a darkroom right now, and have a need for color negatives.

9. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That may very well be, but I am sure if he wanted to know about B&W I am sure he would not addressed his post with the title of

"Budget ISO 100 Color Neg Film" that seems pretty clear cut and straight forward to me...

And color is not any more difficult than B&W if you know and understand temp control

R.

10. ampguy

ampguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    hi

Not at the local places I normally get my film, they've all gone to fast speeds, but I might place an order online if I can find a deal on some bulk slow color neg. film. Will check out X-tra. Thanks.

11. ampguy

ampguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    no problems

Hey, have you tried this color stuff out? It excites not only your rods, but your cones too!! :tongue:

12. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like slides!

13. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll be developing my own slides shortly enough.

Already doing so black and white, but I need to get some color chemistry eventually, since I rarely if ever drop anything off at the lab anymore.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A buck is a buck and I can appreciate your interest in saving money. However, since the cost of seveloping and printing is not usually tied to a particular film I would suggesst that you make a very good test to ascertain that you are getting a top quslity negative from this cheap film...mind you I am not claiming that you are not.

16. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Freestyle currently has expired bulk Fuji 100 film for $9.99. I don't know how long-expired it is, though. They've also got their ISO 100 house brand color film (which is really Ferrania) for $33.99 per bulk roll. Most other bulk color print film I've seen is for ISO 160 and 400 portrait film.

B&H has good prices on color film from Fuji and others. Much of their best-priced films are "gray market" -- sold for non-US markets, but imported through unofficial but legal channels. One drawback to ordering from them is that you'll need to order a fair number of rolls to make the shipping reasonable on a per-roll basis. Of course, if you're looking into bulk film, that shouldn't be a problem.

Another option is to look into house-brand films. Walgreens used to sell Agfa film, but they've switched suppliers to a Japanese company (I've seen claims it's Fuji, but I've not attempted to verify this). K-Mart used to use 3M/Ferrania, but I've not bought any in years. I'm not sure what other stores you've got locally; a lot of drug store and supermarket chains are regional, and would be different for you in California than for me in Rhode Island.

17. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Your local Wal*Mart should sell Fuji 100 film (although mine doesn't and I have to drive to Pittsfield to get it)

Still, the 100, 200 and 400 flavors are all good films. I actually prefer it to Kodak Max.

18. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My 'local' K-Mart doesn't even have a house brand; they just sell Kodak. BUt house brand can be fine. My brother gave me some Brooks 200 speed film that he found and I used it and got some pretty nice results from it.

Also, if you have a Dollar Tree, check to see if they have Konica Minolta 200 film. If so, stock up! It's a great budget film. :wink:

19. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Brooks film is Konica-Minolta. Sadly, Konica-Minolta has announced its departure from the film business. It's still available at the moment, though; IIRC, they're planning to stop shipping it around the end of the year.

20. Samuel B

Samuel B Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Fuji Superia 100 or 200 is a nice film, probably more saturated colours than the Kodak 100, which is also a nice film, and I think under-rated. Either film will give very good results (with good developing & printing). You might want to try both and see which you prefer.

If cost is the issue you might be able to find some very cheap Konica-Minolta film while it's still around.

21. Iskra 2

Iskra 2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like Kodak Gold 200 and processing/CD's from the Big-Marts better than the Fuji offerings. The Gold is a bit more subdued than the Fuji IMO. Recent shot shows the colors aren't too bad, not like Kodachrome though. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2006
  22. dmr

dmr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The new Walgreens 200 is most definitely Fuji. I scanned a strip of the neg of new Walgreens 200 and "real" Fuji and posted them over at RFF to verify. If you want I can find the thread and post a link. If you're on a budget, you can find this for $4.95 a 4-pack if you look around.

I do see the point. 100 is getting hard to find. The local Target' usually has single rolls of 100 for $1 and change, but not always. :sad: The area's remaining real camera shop has Fuji Reala for $4-something a roll.

23. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hrm odd, cuz last I checked Walgreen's "Studio 36" 200 film was Agfa, or least an Agfa aftermarket.

24. dmr

dmr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, it was Agfa (Vista?) and there's still some Walgreens/Agfa on the shelves. I shot quite a bit of it last fall and winter. The 200 was not too bad at all (but I still like Fuji better) but I didn't like the 400 and had abysmal luck with the old Walgreens 800. :sad:

If you look on the box, the remaining Agfa will have "Made in Germany" and some boxes will be marked "Agfa Eye-Vision Technology" but the Fuji will have "Made in Japan" and no reference to Fuji but inspection of the negatives and packaging reveal that it is indeed Fuji.

I think this is quite a touche' for Fuji, since about a year or so ago, Kodak made Walgreens some kind of sweetheart deal to carry Kodak exclusively as their only name-brand film.

25. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Agfa's gone out of business, which forced Walgreens to change suppliers.

26. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know, it's sad really. I dread the day when I have to order 100 ASA film. I hate that I have to order my slide film. I guess I'll just have to buy a freezer and buy in bulk lots. Still 200 isn't all that bad.