Building a Hasselblad lens kit: Planning

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by agphotography, Dec 26, 2012.

1. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi guys,

I more or less inherited the 500cm I'm using along with a 80 & 150mm C T* lens kit. I like them both, but I'm having some trouble deciding what to plan on for the future.

In the 35mm world I am very much a fan of a 35/85mm combo, which has me wondering if I should sell the 80 and get a 60mm for a two lens kit. Or should I keep the 80 and add a 50mm? I know the 50/80/150 kit was quite popular.

The next question then is do I upgrade to the CF lenses for an easier time focusing? I just want to plan things out in advance so I'm not doing a lot of unnecessary buying & selling.

Separate and final question: are there any reputable service people in the Southern California area whom I could have a CLA done with on my body and backs?

2. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a 50, 80, and 150 for my Hasselblad kit, and they work fine for my work. I have all CF lenses because I despise the older lenses' method of interlocking the shutter and aperture controls together. I don't think they're really any easier to focus than the older C lenses, as the CF lenses also have a rather narrow focusing ring that is awkward to use, though they do turn a bit more smoothly.

3. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've got a 50mm and an 80mm.The 50mm is my most used.I've also got a size 8 extension tube that I'm using with the 80mm-for me it means I don't have to have a long lens as now I can easily get the "head and shoulders" shots that I like with the close focus,keeps the bag lighter as well.

4. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 50, 80, 150 kit. I also had a 250CT which I sold to replace with a 250CF, just haven't found one yet. I find the 135 vs 6x6 analogy doesn't always work, the 80 is my most used lens and can be both wide and like a 50mm (in 135) at the same time. It has to do with each particular shot and how the square vs rectangular format looks. I would not like to have a 60 instead of a 80 for a normal lens as that would then make it always look wide, the 80 is my most used lens.

If you do want to try swapping the 80 for a 60 then buy the 60 and use it side by side with the 80 for a while, don't sell the 80 to buy a 60 and then find it doesn't suit you.

As for C/CT vs CF, the focusing can be just as heavy with a CF lens, it is more about the rest of the ergonomics. I think either a C, CT or CF lens is probably going to benefit from a service and regrease of the focus mechanism as that is probably going to make a difference. My 80mm is the newer CB type and the focusing is much much lighter. My 50 is a CF and it is heavy. My 150 is a CT and it is in between. The 250CT I had was very heavy to focus. So I'm kind of thinking of sending everything for a service and relubrication to make sure they are all ok...

To give you an idea of what I use most:

In my 135 system I use a 50mm and 35mm pretty much split between the two and on occasions a 135mm.

With the Hasselblad the vast majority of shots is taken with the 80mm. The 250mm is the next most used for general shooting, the 150 is for portraits and the 50 is my least used lens. Although I wouldn't sell the 50 as when I need it I need it.

5. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i am very happy with my 50/80150 cf kit. brilliant optical quality no matter which lens you grab.

6. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My kit is 60/80/150

I am more of a longish lens person than wide, of the three, the 150 is probably my most used, but the 60 (to my eye) is very sweet.
    However, if you are a wide angle type, the 60 won't be wide enough.

The CF's are a little more convenient, but I guess I am very adaptable, as two of my lenses are C's and I can go between them seamlessly. Sometimes I even use the lock on the CF that makes it work like the C's :wink:

7. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My kit is 60/80/150/250. Had the 50 but sold it much prefer the 60 perspective but that's me. Now itching for a 180!

8. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've always been happy with 80 and 150. Never had a need/desire to go wider but sometimes think about how nice it would be to have a 250.

For service in SoCal go to http://www.stevecamera.com/service.html

Steve Choi and his team have always taken good care of me an dmy gear when repari is needed.

9. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Over the years I gradually ended up with a 50,80,150,250,350,2x and some closeup tubes. While I generally find a use for each, I think for a two lens outfit I would go with the 50 and 150. When traveling those two lenses plus the 2x cover most of my bases. When going out locally I take what I feel like using at the time. What you might consider is a second body that way you don't have to change lenses or backs if you want to use two same film (or different films - just change the lens).

Having recently acquired a Titan pinhole the lens decision is greatly simplified -- no lens to bother with.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

10. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can highly recommend the 50mm. It is a real fun lens. I have the old design without floating elements for my SL66 and found it to be a great lens. Some people claim it is not sharp but I found it to be really sharp at f8 and f11, even on par with the 80mm and 120mm. If used wide open it is rather soft, that´s true.

11. jk0592

jk0592 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is a good idea to have your 50-80-150 all of the same type, such as CF. That way, you only need one size filter for all three lens. Hasselblad or other brands such as BW filters can be expensive, Polarizing, UV, Yellow, Green, Orange...

12. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That actually makes a lot of sense guys and I appreciate the input. The hassie kit is never going to be my main system, this I know, I do the majority of my personal work with 35mm / digital and 120 is for special projects or days I just want to work slower.

I do not want to build an enormous kit, so no more than three lenses, though I may potentially have access to a second body.

When I was in photography school nearly 10 years ago I had access to the V system and CF lenses, and I liked the way those operated over the C lenses I'm using now, they are a bit heavy to focus, but they work fine, I just don't like the sharp metal ribs lol!

13. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well then get the 60 if you like 35mm lens perspective in 35mm film shooting, or the 50 if you like 28mm. Some may feel the 60 too close to the 80 but I use the 80 on my 500cm as I would any "normal" lens with 35mm film (50mm lenses) and I certainly do not think a 35mm lens with 35mm film is too close to a normal 50mm lens when shooting 35mm film!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. pgomena

pgomena Member

I find the 80mm to be a bit of a wide-normal, more like a 35mm than a 50mm on 35. The 50mm is a treat, fun to use, and truly wide. I'm not sure 60mm would be wide enough if I wanted "wide" for a shot. I find I use my 120mm as much or more than the 80mm for many shots because it's closer to how I see pictures in the field.

Peter Gomena

16. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's why I was wondering if the 60mm would be a good all purpose lens for me and then use the 150mm when I need a bit tighter framing?

Otherwise the 50 definitely sounds like a fun lens, but I suppose it would make the most sense to buy a C version as my other two lenses are C type, unless I sold both and started over. But I should probably have my body and backs tuned up first :wink:

17. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It all depends what you prefer. I have a 50-80-150-250 set with a couple of extension tubes. I use them all equally...when i want a 3 lens set, I leave the 250 at home simply because it is really heavy. If I went to a 2 lens set, I'd probably just get a 60 and a 120 Makro. Go ahead and shoot with the 80 and 150 and see what you feel like you are lacking. You might be surprised. If you feel the need to upgrade, get an Acute Matte screen. That makes a big difference!

18. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can focus well enough with the dim screen (though I'd prefer a brighter one) I just don't really like the ergonomics of the CT* lenses, the image quality is A-ok in my book.

19. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since we are on the subject.. Does anyone know a place where one could RENT a Hasselblad lens to try it before buying it?

20. Douglas Fairbank

Douglas Fairbank Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My small kit is 50mm and 100mm, this was the onboard kit of the Royal Navy for many years when they were Hasselblad users.

21. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Calumet has rentals of Hasselblad equipment at their various locations.

Not sure if you have a Calumet close by, but if not, and you need to rent remotely, I think EP Levine has Hasselblad rentals (Boston) and Samy's (L.A.) does too, as I recall.

22. rbender

rbender Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If your near Dallas, Dallas Camera rents hasselblad.

23. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I thought they only rented H systems. I'll have to check them out.

24. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So the consensus seems to be that the 50 / 80 / 150 kit is popular for good reason. One would choose the 50mm for a distinct wide angle feel (somewhat akin to a 28mm on 135 format) and my thought of the 60 / 150 kit only if I intend to keep within a targeted subject or general purpose subject matter.

I suppose versatility should win out here.

So, say I decide to go for the 50, should I hunt for a C or a CF? If I choose C, both of my existing lenses would match, but if I choose CF, it would benefit me to upgrade the other two lenses as well, which naturally will increase my overall cost, but will potentially be better in the long run due to limited serviceability of the older C lenses. What are your thoughts on this?

25. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If your budget can afford the CF and upgrading the others then go for it. If not do not hesitate to get the C, just get from a good, reliable source.

26. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can get a CF get a CF, if not get a CT* and be happy. Whatever you buy does not mean you have to change your other lenses, why do you say that if you get a CF it will benefit you to swap the other two lenses?