Building Darkroom

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by SadowskiPL, Apr 24, 2010.

1. SadowskiPL

SadowskiPL Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello,
    I'm want to back to darkroom and have some questions.
    My Darkroom will be in 4x5 meters room.
    First:
    Today ( 24-04-2010) I bought enlarger lens:
    Schneider Kreuznach COMPONON-S 2,8/50 in very good state.
    This lens is good, and can I make with this a good 30x40cm - 50x60cm prints?
    Second:
    What enlarger ( M39 ) will be good for 35mm negatives (only that enlargers how I can buy in European Union)
    Third:
    I think about buy a Analyzer Pro or Zonemaster II + StopClock Pro, what will be better?
    Four:
    Can you give me some ideas obout equipment can I do it myself?
    Like drying cabinet for negatives etc ??

Ps: Now I finished school :D in 09-2010 I'm going to Phototechnics (or PhotoEnginering) School (2 year)
    Pozdrawiam,
    Konrad Sadowski

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
  2. largeformat pat

largeformat pat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have used schneider for years. For 35 mm I only use the 50mm componon s. In regard to an enlarger. Have a look at the LPL/jobo. 7700. it will do up to 6 x 7 and you can get a color head.
    Have fun
    Pat

3. SadowskiPL

SadowskiPL Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF

I buy this Schneider Kreuznach COMPONON-S 2,8/50 for 112,5PLN that's be about 38$
    I thinking about some Durst M605. (900PLN)
    The wet table ( ? ) etc I will do with my Father.
    The MG filters in Poland are expensive, and chance to buy Agfa or Kodak filters is low. Only way to buy Ilford filters... ( i don't have much money for ALL )

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
  4. CBG

CBG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Blue and green light sources would take away the need for MG filters. I don't know if that would be something you could build for yourself. Or, blue and green filters under the lens. Blue light exposes the high contrast emulsion layer. Green light exposes the low contrast layer.

5. largeformat pat

largeformat pat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi,
    If you can a durst M301 / F 30 enlarger. I have a set of filters for it you can have. Just pay post. Should not be to expensive.

6. SadowskiPL

SadowskiPL Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Can you say me a some about using StopClock Pro + Zonemaster II ?
    And do you can psot links for DIY darkroom equipment ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010
  7. Shadowtracker

Shadowtracker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check out the Darkroom Portraits thread here too - lots of good ideas on it.

8. Pasto

Pasto Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I used several very good books when building my darkroom. I'm at work now and don't have the sources handy. Regarding the enlarging timer/meter, I use the Analyzer pro and love it. The stopclock has some advantages, but nothing that I miss. If my memory serves, the analyzer pro is also quite a bit less expensive than the stopclock + zonemaster combination. I would certainly recommend you try an enlarger that does medium format. They are generally more sturdy than smaller 35mm enlargers and you'll probably want the larger format when you see the difference it makes in the print :smile: As Tim suggested, the Darkroom Portraits thread is a good place to get ideas. If you PM me, I'll send the citations for the books on DIY darkroom stuff. If you can't find them, I don't mind loaning them to you. I can also send some pictures of my darkroom if you would like. Good luck, building a darkroom is a wonderful project.

9. SadowskiPL

SadowskiPL Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hey,
    Today, enlarger lens Schneider-Kreuznach COMPONON-S 2,8/50 has been send to me, and propably will be in my hands tomorrow :D
    Now I check price of SCpro+ZM2 and the price of Analyzer Pro.
    Choice is the Analyzer Pro :wink:
    The enlarger what I thinking about is Durst M605.
    Propably I buy MG filters produced by Ilford or Peterson, only this filter I can buy new in Poland (Foma not in option)...

hmm, small darkroom items to collect:
    - Durst M605 ( 900PLN = ~309$ US) - to buy
    - Schneider Kreuznach COMPONON-S 2,8/50 (112,5PLN = ~38,6$ US) - OK
    - Peterson or Ilfrod MG Filters ( 110-150PLN = ~ 37,8-51,5$ US) - to buy
    - Analyzer Pro ( 1176PLN = 262,5 GBP) - to buy ( fiu... I'm glad to this is in the United Europe, [Taxes] etc...)
    - Jobo 1520 ( 150PLN = ~ 51,5$ US) - to buy
    - Whole Darkroom materials: wood, pipes, cables etc.. - max 1500-2000PLN - TO BUILD!

Ps: I'm going to Photography school in direction Phototechnica (like Photo Enginering ?) (Fototechnik in Polish)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010
  10. SadowskiPL

SadowskiPL Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    WIII :D
    Enlarge lens now arrived :D
    Can you describe me a componon-s in very good state?

11. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would avoid the Durst and go for a Meopta. The spares are easier to find as Meopta still exists, plus used prices will be much lower. The medium format (6x6) model is the Opemus and the newer version is the Opemus 6 - given the easy availability of these things there is no reason to get an older model. Heads available are condenser, Multigrade and Colour. The last two use halogen bulbs, which could be brighter in use, and easier to replace in the future.

I am happily using an Opemus-6 Super with a "Color-3" head, alongside a huge De Vere 203. I very highly recommend the De Vere but availability and cost could be a problem!

You seem to have a luxury darkroom in mind (I'm almost jealous) ! For general darkroom items, for example trays etc. or the filters you mentioned, have a look at Macodirect.de.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2010
  12. SadowskiPL

SadowskiPL Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I can very easly get Durst M605.
    And Meopta enlargers is very easy to buy in poland, but I need enlarger fot work and study.
    The trays etc. I can buy in Krakow in big laboratory equipment company, they have trays, lab glass, etc..
    In good prices. :tongue:

My good friend has have, all new meopta enlargers, and he saying nothing good about those enlargers.
    Meopta produce Amateur grade equipment.

13. SadowskiPL

SadowskiPL Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  14. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Conrad,

I use the Paterson tank series which generally works well but you need to be careful with regard to agitation and process otherwise you can get very noticeable "air bells" on one side of the film (120 - medium format).

Tom

15. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

4x5 meters is great.

Layout so you have wet on one 5 meter side, trays, sink, print washer. On opposite wall all dry processes, enlarger, paper cutter, paper safe, mount press, framing space.

Put a door on the 4 meter side with a storage cabinet opposite wall.

Keep the room cleanable, nice tile floor and a decent dust free ceiling and walls. Install air filters and water filters. Keep stuff clean and 98% of your trouble will not happen. If you work in a pit, you will spend hours spotting prints. You need a way to dry prints, but that is a whole topic.

Leave space for a computer, scanner, and printer, nice desk or low counter top, and comfortable chair. You will find people don`t bother you in the darkroom.

A tall stool is nice by the trays.

Make the counter tops high enough for a MALE, not female kitchen top height. Your elbow height less 3 inches or 75mm is about right. Your back will thank you.

16. SadowskiPL

SadowskiPL Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello,
    I thinking about 3-4meters long Wet table, 1meter of wall will be for thin wall , and on this thinn wall mount all water filters etc.
    Air, good climatization with filters will be ok?
    All tables etc.. I do with my father.
    And computer... EIZO FlexScan S2232W monitor and EPSON V30 scanner is ok ? :wink:

Lab Glass i buy only made PP , PVC.

This is actual state of this room:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2010
  17. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    how about a drying area for prints and a table for your enlarger/s ?
    get a set of 4 x4s for each leg, and strap them together with 2x3 2 of them.
    1 flush with the top edge of your leg and one a little below it.
    then counter sink screws and screw down 1/2" plywood on the top for the table.

for the print dryer ... make it the same height as your enlarger table ... and instead of 2x3s to strap them together
    use 1/8" plywood.
    get furring strips / strapping and screw them in opposite eachother on the inside.
    i think my screens are 16x20 or 20x24 so the inside space needs to be that big.
    use the same wood and staple them together to make rectangles or squares or whatever shape you made
    the inside and also staple window screen on the rectangles.
    get plywood and screw or just lay it on the top, and you not only have a drying cabinet for your prints
    but more storage area for your darkroom stuff ( counter space ).

have fun!
    john

18. SadowskiPL

SadowskiPL Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hey,
    Thanks for ideas :wink:
    Do you can say something about enlarger LPL 7700 PRO ?

Or better will be Durst M605 ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2010
  19. SadowskiPL

SadowskiPL Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Ok, I order some lab glass :D

20. silvergrain

silvergrain Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Konrad,
    Regarding the timers, you were wondering between Analyser and StopClock+Zone Master. I got both, but I have to say that, if I first bought the analyser (the "500" version for my Ilford Head), I then switched to the Stopclock + Zone Master. The reason for this is that the Stopclock is much more adapted in my opinion to make fine prints; you always have to make adjustements (dodge or burns of local areas of the print) which are far easier to handle with a Stopclock than with an Analyser, whose features of the timing function are "sacrificed" for the metering part of the instrument.

And in the light of your budget consideration, I would personally advise to start just to with the Stopclok.

Marc

21. SadowskiPL

SadowskiPL Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hey,
    At the next week i will buy some materials to build UV Box for Alt. processes :wink:

hmm, for UV Box i want to use 5-10x NARVA UVA 30Watt (15PLN ~5-6$ for one)
    Narva Fluorescent lamp

[​IMG]

This lamp will be good ?

22. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  23. SadowskiPL

SadowskiPL Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    And what is Price of it ?