Bulb for Beseler 23 and 67 Dichroic heads

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by ymc226, May 11, 2009.

1. ymc226

ymc226 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My printing times are too long (up to 4 minutes for an 11x 14 6x6 negative).

Using a new 82 volt, 85 watt bulb currently (bought it from B&H Photo as a recommended accessory on their site for my model enlarger). On the Freestyle site, there is also an 82 volt, 300 watt bulb. Can I use this higher watt bulb in the enlarger? What does volts mean. I think watts refers to the amount of brightness in general. Will using the higher watts bulb hurt the enlarger or my negative?

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 67SC/67SD enlargers take the 80W 82V bulb. The 23 Dual Dichroic head takes lamp EJL which is 24V 200W. I would not interchange them.

Volts = electrical potential. Watts = power (light and heat). You will melt something by using the 300Watt bulb.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  3. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lawrence.
    A lamp is designed to run on a specific voltage. In your case 82V for the 67 series enlarger or 24V for the 23C. You cannot interchange the lamps, the lamp for the 23C blow out immediately if installed in the 67 and the lamp from the 67 would barely light.
    The Wattage is the amount of both light and heat the bulb will deliver. The higher Wattage will result in more light AND more heat. It's possible that 300W is too much for your enlarger. There should be a data plate on the enlarger that tells you a maximum Wattage and that is what you can use safely. Higher than that and you may start melting things like mixing boxes and any plastic parts near the lamp.

4. ymc226

ymc226 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks ic-racer

Then I am using the wrong bulb in the Beseler 23 Dual Dichro head. Will using a 24V 200W bulb give off brighter light?
    Do you know where I can get an EJL 24V/200W bulb? Freestyle does not carry them and at B&H, it is a special order item that takes 2-4 weeks to get. I thought the Beseler 23 Dual Dichro was a common enlarger but am curious as to why the bulb is so hard to get.

Is the bulb at this website OK? http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_Description.asp?intProductID=43874

5. Softie

Softie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hmmm.

My 23cII dual dichro head takes a 250W 82v EVW bulb. At least that's the bulb that was in it when it came back from Beseler service.

It might help if you tell us which version of the 23 you have, as I think that heads are not completely interchangeable in that series.

6. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is a manual showing the 200w bulb. Though, thats not to say they did not make any changes during the period of production. If I were uncertain I'd go with the lower wattage, though, an e-mail to Beseler service would probably give the correct answer.
    http://www.darkroompro.com/pdf/enlargers/beseler_dd23.pdf

9. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought some spare bulbs for my 23C with a dichro head. They are 24v 200W (EJL). I bought mine from replacementlightbulbs.com for $5 each. They are listed as value bulbs. These are bulbs that were purchased from store closeouts, and are old stock, new in the box (tested). I found them on a google search when I wanted to order some bulbs. Real nice folks to deal with.

My 23C is the older "blue" model, as is the dichro head. I could be wrong, but I think the 23C dichro heads changed to an 82V bulb sometime after the "blue" models. I'm sure someone here can set me straight.

I use a "conical light integrator" with the dichro head since I like to use the condensers rather than diffusion. It focuses the light from the dichro head into a mixing chamber above the condensers. It seems to significantly brighten the image.

My printing times are as follows:
    8X10 from 35 or 6X6 10-20 sec for black and white
    8X10 from 35 or 6X6 3-5 sec for colour (damn that colour paper is fast)
    I usually print at about f8-f11

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  11. ymc226

ymc226 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all of your help. I went home and looked at the manual, did not notice a bulb requirement. I looked in the back of the unit (something I never did) and found the bulb recommended, an EVW 250 watt/275 max. No mention of volts but a quick Google of the bulb indicates it to be 82 volts. Interestingly, the Beseler Dichro 67S2 I have on back states it takes an ESJ 85W 120V but Googleing ESJ, it is an 85W, 82V bulb.

In terms of the socket, that is a good idea. How easy is it for a novice to change the socket?

Ricksplace,

My model is a Beseler 23CII Dual Dichro S. Right now, I have it set up as per the manual with the Dichro head on top of the support with the mixing chamber below. How do you use the conical light integrator instead with the Dichro head in place? Also, I don't think there are condensers on the dichro head (I'm thinking about those heavy round semi spherical pieces of glass ). Correct me if I'm wrong. I have all of the pieces for the condenser attachment as well for this Beseler 23 frame so any and all suggestions would be appreciated on setting up for more light to get more realistic printing times.

12. Softie

Softie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ic-racer is correct; my Dual Dichro S is a black model and appears similar to the unit in the manual he links to, and the manual says that the unit takes a 200w bulb.

I sent my unit, bought inoperative, into Beseler for repair around 2001, and it came back working with the 250w bulb installed. I requested a repair manual from Beseler, also, which consisted of a list of parts and a wiring diagram. If I can dig up the wiring diagram I'll report back on what the diagram says.

I do recall that the heads for the 23CIII are spec'd to fit the III only; whether or not that is true, I have no idea.

Even with the 250w bulb, printing times can be really, really long with this head---about ten times longer than my condensor B22.