Bulbs for Uv exposure box

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by bimaneg, Nov 11, 2013.

1. bimaneg

bimaneg Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all, i want to build my own Uv exposure 8x10 box for cyanotype, gum and others processes ,
    I was wondering which bulb should i get, on ebay I found some PHILIPS TL/8W
    Does they works fine and how many do I need to make 8x10 print? 4 bulbs or 8 ?

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. bimaneg

bimaneg Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you Rick A, i read it, to build one box looks quite simple but my problem is to find a good bulb, i saw he use sylvania 18W 60cm long, maybe too much for my 8x10 box

4. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have some t8 sized black light bulbs (blb) in mine. Put in as many as you can fit with something reflective behind it. 4 or 8 should be fine. More light = quicker printing. I built a box to take a 14x17 frame and it has 11 lights. I'm not familiar with the exact bulb proposed by the OP.

5. bimaneg

bimaneg Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i will try with 6 =)

6. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is the product family you should be looking for: Philips TL-K/10-R (10 means actinic peaking at 365nm, -R means internal reflector for better yield)

Regards,
    Loris.

P.S. 8 bulbs placed 1" apart each other (and hang about 4" above contact print frame's glass) will perfectly and evenly cover 16x20" print area - with safety space around. Looks big but you may opt to print larger later and since investment cost wouldn't be significantly higher, don't think small...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  7. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. bimaneg

bimaneg Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thank you for all the info, i'm looking for bulbs now on the market, Philips Sylvania etc, and i'm quite confused cause I think to do in future just 8x10 or small prints,
    i would like to make this box out of wood to fit it in a small suitcase so that I can carry it out with me. Do you think a 30cm (11,8'') bulb is enough for 8x10 ?

9. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Smaller 30cm lamps will give you only about 30% - 25% of the energy you can get with larger lamps (read as: ~30-45 minutes or even longer cyanotype exposures...) and their useful lifespan are shorter by 50%. For 8x10" you'll need 10 of these lamps, spaced 10mm apart from each other, hang about 3-4" above printing frame's glass.

Regards,
    Loris.