bulk color film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by madgardener, Apr 4, 2012.

1. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am thinking about starting to roll my own film and am curious if there is any bulk color C-41 or E-6 35mm film available? I have looked at the regular sites such as Freestyle, Adorama, and B&H and they didn't have any. Is black and white the only bulk 35mm available?

2. donkee

donkee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Few and far between. I did see Portra 160 if i remember right and I suppose you can use Kodak motion picture film in the E-6 configuration. Kodak sells the E-6 on their site (400ft minimum). I do not remember where I saw the portra. I'll look around later today for that one.

So i would be interested too in sources.

3. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    iirc the Kodak E-6 isn't any cheaper than buying it in regular rolls when I checked the U.S. prices, however, since it's discontinued, it'll get you new E100VS in 35mm at least.

Kodak Supra 400 was available in 100ft cans here.. there's still some left.

E-6 seems to be available in bulk rolls.. there's old stuff here EPY and things, but Fuji stuff is in bulk rolls too.. quite expensive here though, about $250 for 100ft.. but E-6 has retarded local prices ($45 for a single roll of Provia 400X).. so would be interesting to see what it is priced overseas in bulk rolls.

4. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Try Ultrafine Online. I think they still offer Portra 160NC in 35mm x 100 ft.

Oh, make sure you order perforated, if that's what you need.

5. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why are prices so stupid in Australia?

6. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    nobody uses film in Australia so they have to punish the ones who do

7. donkee

donkee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ultrafine Online, that was the place!

8. Danielle

Danielle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

+1 unfortunately.

9. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So basically the only bulk color film I can get is outdated Portra (2009)? Somehow I doubt its worth it for me to acquire the materials for bulk loading then, unfortunately.

10. kb3lms

kb3lms Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    You could try a motion picture film like Kodak 5207 - 250 speed daylight film. Processing is by ECN-2 process. You can find information about the process in the forums. The advantage is that it can be VERY cheap. 100ft can be had in the $25 to $30 range. The downside (if you think it's a downside) is that you probably want to process yourself and there is some tweaking you will need to do to get it to act like you want. But likely your only realistic path to bulk color film.

11. cinejerk

cinejerk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    220 or 120 size bulk

Has bulk film ever been available for 120 or 220 size rolls?

Or am I just dreaming? :tongue:

12. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    You can get 70mm bulk and trim 4mm off the edge.

13. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    4mm? That wouldn't fit on 120 reel though would it? Or by 70mm you mean the film is 65mm in width (as in '70mm' is 65mm for camera film, and 70mm for projection films)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. cinejerk

cinejerk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought that 120 film was 62mm? Can you trim it enough and get rid of the perfs? Or is there non perf available?

16. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Okay, maybe it is 62mm. I always thought 120 was 66mm wide. Either way, trim off the edge.

There is perforated and non-perforated. I think an edge trim would get the perfs or pretty close.

17. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    You can get 70mm non-perf and trim 9mm off, the film is about 61mm, I will be trying this soon when I have finished building a track and cutter to perform the task. The backing paper is a bit wider, maybe that is the 62mm.

As for 35mm --- I have had good success modifying a Nikkormat to use non-perf 35mm film by wrapping some rubber tape around the middle of the advance cylinder, so that instead of moving the film by its sprockets, it moves by friction (plus the rather weak action of the take-up spool).

18. cinejerk

cinejerk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. cinejerk

cinejerk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It just isn't worth it. I'll just have to chuck my 220 inserts and buy some 120.

Maybe I could remove the plastic piece that tells the camera it's a 220 insert and then
    cut the 120 paper backing out. Tape on a trailer paper and call it good. :tongue:

20. micwag2

micwag2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    WAIT!.......... Wait...........wait. Please explain how you trim 4mm or what ever off of the edge of roll of film. Obviously in complete darkness. But if I tried doing that with scissors it would look like the straight line a drunk tried to walk in a roadside sobriety test.

21. cinejerk

cinejerk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    micwag2 check out the above links :smile:

You can build a slitter and it's almost professional.

Still to much bother :cool:

22. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Interesting, so when I eventually get my TLR, I can get some 70mm film and just trim it? sounds like a terrific way to save some serious cash, at least for 120/220 film. Would this also work for 620? I will soon be owning a 620 camera, and the price wanted for film is outrageous.

23. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Inserts for which camera?

In most cases, you can use 120 in a 220 insert - it is just harder on the insert.

Oh, and the counter will mislead :smile:.

EDIT: I've just reminded myself that you were earlier asking about Mamiya 645 inserts. 120 film will work in 220 inserts, even if the arrangement isn't ideal.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2012
  24. cinejerk

cinejerk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Matt
    Yes that is true. You can use 120 in the 220 if you are careful.

I think the 220 insert for the M645 has a little more force behind the pressure plate.

You can remove the little plastic wedge that tell the camera that it's a 220 insert. The it looks like
    a 120.

According to the manual you have to be very careful not to get the folded ends of the paper anywhere
    near the shutter. If the paper gets caught in the shutter it could get destroyed.

25. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did this (with color) many years ago and ran into many incidents of getting film refused at various processors not willing to chance their chemistry to what may be in a home-spooled cartridge. I don't blame them but I hadn't thought of that complication prior to rolling some color film from bulk.

26. shutterbug101

shutterbug101 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wittner sells an ISO 200 slide film in bulk. It's based off of Agfa Aviphot. The site (wittner-cinetec.com) is mostly in German, but the order form is available in English. Click "Katalog", then click "Filmmaterial", then click "Kleinbildfilm-135". A roll costs €41 excluding VAT, and €50 with VAT. At the bottom of the page, click "order" to see the order form in English.